Sick Babies!

shaggymaniac

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2002 9:20 pm

Hi there,

Rescued 2 female´s (6-8 weeks old)yesterday and they are quarentined from our others. Last night, Brownie and Puff started sneezing. This a.m. woke up and Brownie had a crusty nose. We took them to the vet and the diagnosis was a URI for both of them. The vet said that there wasn´t any congestion in the lungs. She put them on .05 cc of Baytril. Also gave them a Vitamin C shot. The little one´s seem to have responded well to the Vitamin C shot as they are still eating and drinking. Is there anything else I can be doing to help the little one´s. Thanks.

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2002 10:08 pm

You need to make sure they are eating, drinking, peeing, pooping. Baytril sounds like the way to go, but some pigs don´t tolerate it well. Those pigs stop eating, in which case you need to be forcefeeding them. This is why you need to make sure they are eating well.

You could supplement them daily with vitamin C. I use the liguid form (for humans), but some people use the chewable pills (for humans, too). The therapeutic dose is 50mg per kilo per day.

Make sure they are quarantined for three weeks. You probably already know this, but a proper quarantine means the new pigs are in a separate room, behind close door. Also, make sure you are extra careful with washing your hands and changing your shirt after you handle them. Otherwise, you might be contaminating your resident pigs.

It´s great that you took them in. How were they rescued?
Last edited by Evangeline on Sun Feb 10, 2002 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2002 11:03 pm

My vet claimed a steamy bathroom or steam humidifier would help if they seem particularly congested. Make sure the room is comfortable. Some people try to provide extra warmth that an ill pig can take advantage of (or move away from if too warm) by using a bottle filled with very warm water or some sort of safe heat source.

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2002 11:19 pm

Jesus! I don´t know what I was thinking, but Baytril is NOT okay. I thought they were 6-8 MONTHS old, but I just realized they are 6-8 WEEKS old. Baytril should not be used on pigs younger than 4 months, as it can cause problems in the joints. I suggest you discuss this with your vet. Bactrim, Chloramphenicol or Doxycycline would be good choices for babies.

shaggymaniac

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2002 11:34 pm

They seem to be doing better this evening. They have been drinking, pooping and peeing. They´ve been eating Hay, Kale and pellets. I watched them real closely to make sure they were both eating and drinking today. Their eyes don´t seem as lethargic and breathing is much better this evening. They were also much more active today. I will check w/ vet on the Baytril. Giving them lots of TLC and hoping they keep getting better. Thanks again.

shaggymaniac

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 2:46 pm

Looks like they are doing much better. They have been eating and drinking more. They are also not sneezing nearly as much. It appears that things are on the upside!

pigpal

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 2:55 pm

I´m glad they seem to be on the mend. Can you post a picture?

shaggymaniac

Post   » Thu Feb 14, 2002 11:26 pm

Here´s a pic of the little ones!

lisam

Post   » Thu Feb 14, 2002 11:38 pm

Oh man! Are they cute or what!?

pigpal

Post   » Fri Feb 15, 2002 12:27 am

Little fuzzballs! Thanks Shaggy!

pinta

Post   » Fri Feb 15, 2002 2:06 am

Careful of that seed stick. Don´t let them eat it unless you are there and even then just as a treat. They can choke on the seeds(rare but possible) and the oil content isn´t the best thing for them.