neosporin for mouth sores?

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:21 pm

I looked at it this morning and it looks like it may have shrunk a little bit. It's not exactly on his mouth, it's just below the lip in the corner. I will take him to the vet tomorrow if it doesn't look improved.

Thanks for the comments!

Nicole

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:24 pm

Josephine,

Thank you for the photo. Scottie's mouth looks nothing like that, it is just a one little round scab, about the size of one of his little nostrils.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:54 am

Leeloo gets sores when she eats apples and tomatoes. It doesn't seem to bother my other pigs, but she is very sensitive to them.

I used Methylene Blue. It's sold in pharmacies for human mouth sores. It helped the sore dry and my vet couldn't find anything about toxicity. I just dabbed a tiny amount on the sore twice a day.

melcvt00

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:55 pm

It wasn't New Methylene Blue, was it?

This is from the material safety data sheet (MSDS):

EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE: Skin rash, headache, nausea, eye,
nose and throat irritation.
ROUTE(S) OF ENTRY/EMERGENCY AND FIRST AID PROCEDURES:
EYE: Irrigate immediately with water for 15 minutes. Call
physician.
SKIN: Flush with water immediately.
BREATH: Move to fresh air. Give artificial respiration if
needed. Call physician.
INGESTION: Give several glasses of milk. Call physician.

melcvt00

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:56 pm

Wait...sold in pharmacies for human mouth sores.....never mind.......

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:09 pm

Ok, today it looks like it is drying up and shrinking. In fact, the scab looks like it is about ready to fall off. I took away his oranges and give him oral C. He never had oranges before he came to me so maybe it was an allergic reaction. I will keep a very close eye on it. He is eating and drinking fine.

Thank you all for the great advice. I learn so much here, and it is so valuable to me b/c the internet gp community and a couple of distant rescues are my only resources aside from a one-hour drive to the vet. And I just hate to put them through that if it's not necessary. So as always, your help is much appreciated! I will get the Methylene Blue tonight.

Nicole

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:16 pm

Methylene Blue is sort of an old wives home remedy thing, so your pharmacy may not carry it. My pharmacist laughed at me when I asked for it, and said he hadn,t seen that thing for years, but he ordered it and I got it 2-3 days later. He is used to ordering all kinds of things for my pigs, by now. He often asks me how they are and he gives me a handful of 1cc syringes for free to handfeed them.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:25 pm

Hmmm... Doesn't ingested Methylene Blue cause blue urine? I seem to remember it as an old medical joke that students pulled on one another. Maybe it's something else. I would think it would color the food/drink blue.... Hmmm.... I wish I could remember.

Evangeline

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:34 pm

Maybe. I just put some on a Q-Tip and dabbed the sore with it, so I doubt she ingested much, anyway.

BE VERY CAREFUL when handling this stuff. One drop and your floor it ruined. It is the toughest dye I know.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:36 pm

Methylene Blue is what my blue paint is called. I always thought it was a pigment name.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 7:45 pm

Well, the scab dried up and fell off and it looks like it is healing nicely. My guess is that it was either the oranges or the fact that he was chewing the bars to get to the males in the next cage before I covered that side up.

I will check his mouth regularly, though, in case it is a viral condition. He is turning into a sweetie-pie, too...last night he stretched out his legs while I was petting him.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I am looking for the methylene blue anyway to have on hand.

Nicole

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2002 7:55 pm

BTW, Lynx, I loooooooove my nickname. Thank you! :)