Misadventures of Max (and others)

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:09 pm

Maybe I should make my avatar bigger. That's Steve and Max, enjoying some sunshine and grass at my old house.

Steve never stopped begging. He and Jules would lean way out of the pen together, hoping for something new or tastier. If breakfast wasn't to his liking, he'd look at me expectantly. He loved oranges and sometimes I'd give him his own measuring cup of orange juice so he'd leave mine in peace. He would also eat from a spoon and drink from a carefully held cup. Often, he'd stay under the covers until I made the tsk, tsk noise that told him I had food. He was a smart pig.

When I held him, he'd snuggle up under my chin almost like a baby. I'd rest my chin on the flat part of his hair. We could spend a lot of time like that, watching TV. He had the softest hair. I've never had a grown pig before or since that was that soft. It was almost as shiney as a satin, but he was just an ordinary shorthair.

During one of his first floortimes with me, I had to chase him around the living room for no less than 45 minutes before I could get him back in his pen, but other than that, he rarely gave me any trouble. I wish I could say the same for his cagemates.

Take all the pictures you can, even if it seems silly. Let the kids make smoothies for sick pigs, even if you're tired. You may wish you had later.

It is the end of an era. I don't know what will follow. It's too soon to see if the pairing of Jules and Neal without Steve holds or if I'll have to make new arrangements. That's for another chapter, I guess.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:07 pm

This is bigger, if you'd like the same pic:

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:21 pm

I like the new avatar.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:44 am

Thanks, Lynx.

Snowflakey, I do, too. I like to think that's how they are now. Back together, in fresh grass and sunshine.

Deer jumped the fence and visited Steve's grave. It's like they pranced there. Mr. RS had noticed yesterday AM that the cross was knocked over, and hadn't had a chance to put it back up. Anyway, he got home and went out there and asked if I'd done it (yes, I went out there before work) and if I'd seen the footprints. He prefers to think it was somewhat magical.

I had joked that Red may have already found his forever home. It may not be such a joke now. I'm seriously considering keeping him, if not all the Little Pigs Three. Mr. RS will probably be irritated, but if I can't find a home for the trio or at least the other two, they can stay with me. And right now I don't think he'd argue with me.

Guinea pig - free
Medical bills - didn't bother to count
Time spent together - five years +
Total - priceless

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:25 am

And life goes on

Jules and I had a little discussion last night. It was mostly an argument about his toes. I had been a bit neglectful on his pedicures of late and wanted to trim them. Jules was not pleased about this. Our disagreement was a lot of, "If you sit still, this won't hurt" and "OW! You stupid pig! Stop biting me!"

I got all but his pinky toes (which are difficult) trimmed. I think he won.

Once I quit messing with his toes, we sat in the kitchen for a while. Jules is the type of pig that burbles during lap time (when he sits still for it). We had a long talk about how I miss Steve and how I'm sure he does, too. Jules walked up my sweater and sat under my chin. It was the exact right thing.

Life goes on.

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:32 pm

Yeah, Pippin is like that, too. I think he's psychic. How is Neal, the big savage? And the little savages?

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:25 pm

Jules has been invading Neal's side of the pen, but so far, it doesn't seem to be doing any harm. Neal seems a little lost. The big tough guy doesn't know what to do with himself. I am hopeful for a better friendship between Neal and Jules.

The little savages are okay. Noisier this week. I had Red out for a bit the other day. He wasn't sure about ear rubs, but he did seem to enjoy the snuggling. To a point. The little guys only have so much patience...and bladder control.

Agouti Red has claimed the top of the pigloo. He must spend a lot of time up there. I noticed "presents" yesterday.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:43 pm

Good-bye, Friend

Although not my pig, yesterday I was sadly informed that our guest pig would no longer be visiting us. For a number of years, he spent bits of the fall and summer with us, for weeks at a time. Thing called him "Soul Patch" because he was a skinny with just a bit of wirey hair. I had noticed that he was thinner on the last visit, and like Steve, he had tooth troubles. I'm sure that his owner did all in her power for him, like I did for Steve. It was just his time. We will very much miss the little naked guy.

Rest well, Hugo. Say "Hi" to Steve for us.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:02 pm

See ya Soul Patch - say hey to all the friends.

We miss yall.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:40 pm

Glee!

At the risk of sounding juvenile - SQUEE! Neal has started doing something new (which I plan to take a picture or video of tonight, if I can get him to do it again). What he's doing is actually coming forward in the cage, to stand next to Jules and BEG! It's not a big thing in the land of all things piggish, but it's big to me, since he generally hung back and regarded me with suspicion.

It's reassuring. They haven't gotten their "sides" figured out yet (Jules was kind of "hey, move it!") but it looks like Jules is standing in Steve's old spot, and Neal is standing in Jules' for the most part. And Neal has been grooming Jules like Steve used to. It makes me glad.

Grass is starting to grow on Steve's grave, and the lilac has new leaves. Time marches on...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:43 pm

They are so much more interesting and complicated than people give them credit for. Neal sounds cool. Hope you can get it recorded!

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:48 pm

Hooray!! Neal is a mystery pig!!