Help (urgent) - urine scald-type occurance

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:23 am

Becky, thanks for the pics. They are pretty graphic so I just added a link in the post you originally put up with the link to geocities. It looks extremely painful. There is a drying product, I think called domoboro (or something similar) that is used on urine scald in rabbits.

You really still have to consider a urinary tract infection. These scalds are more likely to happen with a constant dribble of urine. Only antibiotics will take care of a UTI.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:23 am

Pebbles has never looked like that! She just has a spot on her hip/butt about the size of a quarter that looks consistently wet, but it is stiff! When I wash her, the hair comes out in clumps, leaving her skin pink and bald. The last time she had it, it moved up her butt cheek until an area about the size of a silver dollar was involved, then slowly the hair started growing back in.
Hmm, I'll have to take pics if this happens again.

Becky

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:02 am

Yes, they are pretty graphic. I really can't say that it seemed to bother her much, though. Also, the picture was taken after the vet shaved the area, I believe, so it might look worse than it was.

I tried the domoboro, but I'm such a directions idiot, that it never really worked too well for me.

The diaper rash cream cleared Cookie's scald in less than two days. It was pretty amazing.

Gez, I must say, I never felt like it had an amonia smell. I'm wondering if you're smelling the urine on the wood instead of the pig?

I agree about checking for an UTI. Cookie dribbled urine for months before her urine scald developed.

Gez

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:17 pm

I just assumed the ammonia smell was because it was pee in her fur. It definatly came from her though, because I only really smelled it when I was cleaning her in the kitchen. That's why I thought she might be dehydrated and having more concentrated urine. I'm gonna check out the UTI pages here to see if she has other symptoms.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:58 pm

Works wonders. Its fabulous for urine scald. I had to use it for 2 years on a disabled bunny. Took the burn away and the inflammation.

OUCH!! That looks really bad!!! You need to keep the area very clean and yes, I used Domburo pads on my rabbit as well as the preparation-H.

This most certainly is not something to fool around with. She needs a vet appt.. please?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:18 pm

Works wonders. Its fabulous for urine scald. I had to use it for 2 years on a disabled bunny. Took the burn away and the inflammation.

Are you referring to diaper rash cream? Or the domoboro?

Gez

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:23 pm

Lynx, is there a list of UTI symptoms anywhere?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:31 pm

Squeeking while peeing, blood in pee, leaking urine -- a vet can check for blood in pee. Often a vet will try to clear these up with an antibiotic and if it doesn't work, do an xray to check for stones. Bactrim is a good drug to use and may need to be given for several weeks while healing.

When we humans have a urinary tract infection, it hurts to pee (burns) and there can be blood. Urine is checked to see if there is an infection present.

Gez

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:36 pm

She's not leaking, and there's no visible blood (but I know that it won't always be), and she's only squeaked while peeing that once last night (unless shes done it while I've not been around, but she's peed infront of me this morinig more than once, with no problems). Is there anything I can give her as a precaution, or is it not worth it, given it will mess with her gut flora?
Also, I doubt I can get to the vets untill easter is over and done with.
Her butt was less sore-looking today though.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:37 pm

The Preparation-H. I was astounded at how great it worked. Its perfect for the scald. And it gives a protective coating, too. It works better than all the rash creams I tried, even the homeopathic ones.

J.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:52 pm

I know I read a thread recently about a sow with an overactive grease gland who had clumps of fur coming out from that area. How can one tell the difference between this situation and urine scald?

Our pig Biscuit seems to get the clumpiness every now and again, and where the fur comes off, it's sometimes pink and a little raw underneath. Last year, she had a nasty discharge around her genitals so we took her to the vet, who cleaned her up and sent us home with a skin cleaner and a powder to apply (I'm at work presently, and I've forgotten the names of these products, and I can't check the thread at CG where I'd posted about it originally). As I recall, the diagnosis was a yeast infection. But she only still gets (now and again) this clumpiness, without the discharge, and I'm wondering if it's a grease gland problem, or urine scald, or both. She does not present any of the UTI symptoms I've read about. (And her weight is stable again after the visit to the vet a few weeks ago; she was given a clean bill of health at that time.)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:16 pm

Hey, that's great to know the Preparation H works great for you, Judi. Given what it is designed for, it would make sense that it would sooth and protect.

swannie, I would think the difference would be where it is located and odor. Urine smell and lower vs. tail bone and greasier looking.

Gez, one tip off I had that something was wrong with Snowflake was her peeing on me, which was extremely uncharacteristic of her (she never did so). The next day she was passing blood clots and got treated for a UTI.