Transporting Guinea Pigs between Canada & the US

okc angel pigs

Post   » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:50 pm

They have to go in cargo.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:15 pm

No, they do not.

A few airlines (Delta in particular) allow them in the cabin, in FAA-approved carriers, for a fee.

Most airlines do not allow them in the cabin, and require them to be placed into a heated, pressurized section of cargo also used for dogs and cats. The area is pitch dark and vibrates frighteningly, but it is heated and pressurized.

Not all airlines require this. A very few allow them in the cabin, and they are worth checking around for.

mmasters

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:15 pm

If Delta allows piggers in the cabin, then I will fly with them from now on. I called Northwest and they said guinea pigs go cargo. My husband suggested if I wanted to bring back some guinea pigs from America, it would be best to take a cruise ship. Most cruise ships allow pets in the private cabins and when you figure the cost of a round-trip airline ticket, a cruise sounds like a good deal - especially for the guinea pigs! The furthest I ever heard of someone flying a guinea pig was from Sweden to Brazil.

Veronique

Post   » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:46 pm

Being Canadian and married to an American, I traveled Canada/US and US/Canada very frequently. Never had the slightest trouble, most of the time more exclamations: "Wow, I have never seen one with long hair like that!" or "My! this guy is big!"

We always travel by car though, never by train or plane.

Jp530

Post   » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:06 pm

Did you guys know that you shouldnt be putting a pig on a plane though? There have been many piggie deaths due to the altitude changes from pigs being forced to fly so I wouldnt recommend it, you probably wont kill your pig going from state to state but im sure you'll traumatize him.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:06 pm

?!?

I don't think anyone here has experienced deaths from flying.

Mapleowl18
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:46 pm

Caspers Mom flew all the way over to Vancouver from Australia stopping in Hawaii, with Casper. I think that Jp530 is may be looking at old data?

The pressure change for modern planes isn't very bad at all. Maybe they mean riding in the cargo hold. I can see where that would be bad, especially if it was unpressurized.

LynnK

Post   » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 pm

I was thinking that to Mapleowl, if they are in the cargo hold it would be very bad, and if I remember right Jenn did every thing to avoid that with Casper. She flew in the cabin with her in a small cat type carrier!

Jp530

Post   » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:28 am

I heard somewhere that theres been a couple of reports of guinea pigs dying from flying. I couldnt tell you where i found it though but ill try and find something.

Jp530

Post   » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:37 am

I guess I was a little bit wrong because I looked it up and found out that they can't be flown in cargo because it isnt temperature sealed so they would get too hot and die.

chouchouwang

Post   » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:26 pm

I'm moving to Canada from Los Angeles in June. I'm debating whether I should take my two piggies on a plane. I've searched all available airlines. Only United and Delta allow guinea pigs on board but they will have to be checked in as baggage. The airlines say the baggage compartment is temperature-controlled and safe. The flight will be about 5 hours.

Does anyone have experience with flying guinea pigs as checked baggage? I want to be absolutely sure before taking my pigs on a plane. Thanks very much for your help.

shanachie05

Post   » Mon May 09, 2011 8:04 pm

My mother had experience with flying a guinea pig. She had a PEW peruvian and flew with her a number of times from Buffalo to Albuquerque, on a regular basis, about twice or three times a year round trip.
She flew Southwest and bought a seat for the pig as well as for herself. The pig was in a small cat carrier and fit under the seat in front of her. My mom is very outgoing and chatty, so quite often, she made friends by educating them about the guinea pig and always was able to get Penelope to "purr". Penelope lived to be for 8 years old before she died a few months ago. Pretty neat guinea pig ambassador, she was...