Our Quirky Companions!

goosey1019

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:12 pm

They do LOTS of quirky things, but one of my favorites is how Mozzie prefers to move the cuddle cup and sleep next to it instead of inside it.

Neal has started picking up this habit from him, though he still does sleep inside of it too judging from all the Neal poops I find inside it.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:19 pm

Tulip stands up on her hind legs like a dog when I give her yum-yums (veggies). I've trained her to do circles on all fours, but she prefers to stand up.

Sidera17

Post   » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:43 pm

My pigs are.... characters.

Spike rings a bell. He is also super jealous of any other pig that takes Mom's attention away.

Riley 'hangs 10' on the side of the coroplast begging for food. If you pet him, he stands there and closes his eyes like he's hypnotized.

Chex is a runt, so when he chirps, it sounds like, "Woop woop woop!"

SwtMelly

Post   » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:49 pm

Carlie will only let me pet her in the cage if she is in a cuddle cup. Emma likes to hold my finger in her mouth. I've discovered she only chomps if you try to pull away, otherwise she just mouths it and then lets go.

Homo4nubs

Post   » Tue May 10, 2016 3:38 pm

Our little girl, Terezi will drink and then watch the bubbles go to the top of her water bottle. It's so cute to watcher her little head follow the bubbles.

Our little man Wayward Vagabond (the mayor) likes to drag his tube to his food dish and then eat. If not, he will go to his dish, take one individual pellet, bring it to his hut, and then eat. Then he repeats untilll he is full.

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue May 10, 2016 11:56 pm

And people say piggies don't have personality.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed May 11, 2016 3:59 am

They've obviously never spent much time with them.

bugsyxo

Post   » Thu May 12, 2016 10:20 pm

I hate when people say piggies don't have personalities as mine have VERY distinct personalities and it has been awesome getting to know these 2 girls.

Their names are Phyllis & Bugs (as random as you can get) and they are too funny.
Phyllis - LOVES to be burrowed in fleece and she must drag her food dish under the fleece to have it near her at all times. It is so funny to see her drag the food dish under her cozy fleece as soon as I put it in there. She also loves when I sit near her during floor time and will go crazy popcorning and running all over the place.

Bugs - I spot clean the cage multiple times daily (I am a bit OCD about their cage) and Bugs will popcorn every time that I stick my hand in their cage to clean it. I am not sure if she expects to be fed or maybe she's thanking me for cleaning her cage LOL. She will also go crazy for a good tunnel, as most piggies do, and it is so funny to see her run in and out of tunnels like crazy during floor time.

JaneDoe

Post   » Fri May 13, 2016 1:16 am

We had a member named Bugs Mom after one of her pigs, "Lady Bug."

Bugs mom died of cancer last year. I miss her.

C00kie
nom nom nom

Post   » Fri May 13, 2016 7:48 am

Beau doesn't quite understand how to use the water bottle. Instead of licking at it, he bites it like food. The biting causes it to shake a little which makes water come out, so he doesn't understand he's using it wrong.

(I'm aware this is probably awful for his teeth, but I've tried a water dish and he wont touch it. I don't think there's anything else I can do for him besides let him drink the way he wants and hope he doesn't hurt his teeth >.<)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 13, 2016 8:14 am

I am guessing there are other guinea pigs that behave similarly. You can also wet the vegetables down well to increase water intake if you wish.

Annapox

Post   » Thu May 11, 2023 10:45 am

Willow had very strong opinions about where her cage furniture should be placed. Every morning I'd set it up so that it was optimized for zooming, and every time I left the room I'd come back to find she'd moved things (and always to the same layout). It became almost like a game we played, taking turns rearranging the furniture.

Penny loves being able to hide while she eats and drinks. When she has a hidey she can move easily, she moves it so that one entrance is right next to the hay bag or water bottle. She also drags the pellet bowl over to the hidey. One of her favorite ways to "hide" is to lie down directly below the hay bag, where she is still extremely visible.

Rosie had no prey animal instincts. The very first day I brought her home, she took food right out of my hand (I had intended to set the food down and walk away) and let me pet her and scratch her chin. Her favorite pastime was picking up a chew toy, tossing her head around, and putting the chew toy down again, over and over.

Lily goes through phases where she frequently crawls into the hay bag and hangs out there for long periods of time. I've never had a guinea pig small enough to fit more than just their head into the hay bag before, but even as a fully grown adult Lily is pretty small, so she can get in and out without any problem. She also goes through phases where she drags a chew toy into her hidey but doesn't really chew on it. She mostly just sits next to it.