Are hay hammocks a potential danger?

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:54 pm

One square or rectangular shaped piece of fleece and 4 (or 6 depending on the length of your hammock) one inch fleece strips cut to the length you need to be as high or low as you want the hammock to hang. Poke a small hole just big enough to push the fleece strip through and tie it in each corner. Tie each of the ends to the top of the cage however you have to in order to get the desired shape and effect and PRESTO! Instant fleece hammock that is safe and comfortable. Untie and throw in the washing machine or wash by hand and hang to dry. Simple, safe and effective. Mine love theirs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:03 pm

Sounds like it would be comfortable! Do you have any pics?

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:00 am

Here you go.

These are just a few of the ones I've done.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:52 am

They all look so comfortable! A simple design - guessing almost anyone with access to fleece could put one together!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:33 pm

Oh yes. Very easy, versatile and the piggies just love them. They are a little bit of work to keep clean, but no more than the fleece bedding. The other drawback is that the pairs of boars argue over them even though there was one for each, which is why I took them out and put tunnels in. They like the tunnels ok but they prefer the hammocks. I've been thinking about trying the hammocks again. Maybe I'll do it and see if they learned their lesson. Zachary Binks hasn't tried one yet, so I should probably put one in his cage too.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:48 pm

I might have to give that a try. I like that it doesn’t take any floor space to interfere with zoomies.

Gidget is a little climber so I have a triangle of fabric held with binder clips in a corner of her cage. I also have one grid covered with padded fleece and binder clipped in a corner. Both are about 6” off the floor so she can jump up and keep an eye on the refrigerator.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:04 pm

"...so she can jump up and keep an eye on the refrigerator"

Such a guinea-pig-thing to do!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:32 pm

She has a lot of responsibility for a little pig. Besides the refrigerator, she has to watch if the dog gets a treat so she doesn’t get left out. She has breakfast snuggles and lap time with lettuce, and she has to raise the alarm for snack time at 1:00 and 3:00. Dinner prep is announced at 5:00, and zoomies are scheduled in the evening. And of course, if my husband (AKA the Food Truck) walks by, she grumbles until she gets a carrot sliver. I don’t know how she gets it all done.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:36 pm

So good to know she keeps you on your toes!

Sounds like a really precious little girl :-)