Are hay hammocks a potential danger?

ElvisTCB

Post   » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:02 pm

My boy's hammock became tangled around his neck, despite it being hung properly...not so tight as to cut off air, but he definitely was unable to free himself. Thankfully I was home/easily able to free him.

In my case, it was because I was washing his usual hammock & temporarily gave him one with fabric that didn't easily slide aside. I think it's important for the fabric to be slippery/smooth. He sticks his head up through his usual hammock all the time, & I haven't had any issue in the year+ I've been using it.

RubySimon

Post   » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:43 pm

Those are interesting. I went to the website though and when I click on any products or anything in the banner, I get a warning about security.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:56 pm

I think Windespirit hasn't been making stuff for a while.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:53 pm

I suggested it in case you are crafty. I tried writing her some time ago and was unable to get hold of her.

She is a sewing demon!

RubySimon

Post   » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:38 am

HAHAHA! I am SO NOT crafty. Sadly. I would probably sew my fingers together................

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:06 am

I hope your fingers would be safe - but understand why you are looking for something already made!

I am going to guess (just thinking off the top of my head) that you might be able to cut a 14" -18" by 6" piece of fleece internally into strips leaving, the ends attached to hold it together. The fleece is strong, soft, and long internal strips (not cutting through an inch at each end to hold it together) should pose no hazzard. If the hay slips through too easily, cutting a similar piece but cutting all the way through one end would let you alternately weave the strips loosely through the other piece, giving it more body. These strips would need to be longer because you'd need to tie the loose ends to something to avoid sewing.

I don't know if this gives you any ideas - and would require lots of experimentation - but could work similarly.

I also see some (basically) folded cloth with a few holes cut into them for guinea pigs to pull out the hay. I still think fleece is a great cloth to use for its slight stretchiness and the fact that you don't have to finish the edges by sewing. Hay will tend to stick to it some but it can be washed.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=soft+hayrack+ ... &ia=images

Here's one product sold by a Guinea Lynx supporter:
https://piggybedspreads.com/product/hay-cafe/

And this is really cute too (with several patterns) sold by another supporter:
https://www.guineapigmarket.com/heavenly-hay-bag

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:16 pm

WARNING! I have seen photos of hay bags with grommets where the pig got his head stuck inside the bag and unable to get back out. I would avoid any hay bags with grommets.

The GuineaPig Market hay bag is definitely much safer for piggies. It's a really good design (I think they originated it). It is a little pricey but will last forever.

It's not hard to make your own if you can sew a straight line. I sew my own version and decorate it as I like, it's kind of fun. Or if you have any bags lying around that don't fray (eg like the recyclable ones used for groceries), you could cut out a couple of holes and clip it to the side of the cage.

Alternatively, use a cereal box (or similar) with a hole cut out for the hay. Use binders to clip it to the top of the cage. Voila, an easy, functional and inexpensive hay holder.

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:11 pm

Oops, meant to say "reusable", not "recyclable."

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:02 pm

I like the idea of using one of those recyclable bags! Did not know there was a potential danger with the large grommets (I imagine it depends partly on grommet size and guinea pig head size).

RubySimon

Post   » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:34 pm

Oh! I love the cereal box idea! That is a great idea. And easily replaceable when it gets cruddy. Great idea Waddles!

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:14 am

Yes! Empty tissue boxes work well too.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:57 pm

I tracked down an older post on Guinea Lynx where the big grommets were an issue. The pics look like they were circular grommets (not the oval ones Piggy Bedspread is using). So Piggy Bedspread's are likely to be safer (hopefully no issues have arisen).

Always a good idea to read feedback about products!

I do love the idea of cereal boxes and other pliable boxes. Guinea pigs would likely enjoy chewing on them too.