Violet's medical thread

Zaphy

Post   » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:37 am

Vet said he thinks the meloxicam may have been causing some GI upset, so we're trying her off of that and bumping up her CC feedings. They gave her some sub-q fluids plus some vitamin C, but he thinks she's doing pretty good.

Zaphy

Post   » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:44 pm

Happy to report that Violet returned to normal while I was gone, though it took about a week of the husband being very diligent and VERY patient with her hand feedings :) He's upset that I ever taught Violet to hop up on my shoulders when she wants to go back to the cage... it makes for some difficult nail trimmings and hand feedings! Her weight is back up to 1150-1170g :)

I'll update again when it's time to try again with the spay- it will probably not be till May, as we've had some things come up during April. Hoping that nothing worsens in the meantime.

Also, on an off topic note- Lynx, the new forums look great!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:38 pm

So glad you like them! There are a few new features, too!

And very happy to hear she is doing well!

Zaphy

Post   » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:02 am

Violet's still not been spayed- we've had a lot of excuses pop up but I think mainly I'm just really scared to have her go under anesthesia again given that she responded so poorly the first time. I know that the vets did recommend trying again and I still basically plan on it but I'm just... going to be really crushed if I kill her by trying to spay her (for new readers, she has ovarian cysts, no external symptoms).

In the meantime though, an unrelated question- I found some blood on a spot that Violet had been chewing so I assume she cut her mouth, but upon checking her lips, front of mouth and tongue, could not find a cut. If a cut is small enough to stop bleeding that fast, should I be concerned about infection? If it were on her skin outside I wouldn't be too worried, just that it might be inside her little poopy mouth. Not sure if this one's worth a trip to the vet?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:00 pm

Does she have a cagemate and if so, do they scuffle from time to time? If so, check the cagemate.

Their mouths and tongues heal exceptionally fast, but they rarely cut them. This one's a little weird to me. I wouldn't necessarily run to the vet, but I'd want to know where the blood came from.

Zaphy

Post   » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:51 pm

She does, they don't really, but I did anyway, heh. Same thing, I just figured the advice would be the same. No clue where the cut is/was- and I figure for the blood to have escaped their mouths it would have had to be near the front where I'd be able to see it. I guess I'll just... check their mouths for a while and watch for any redness anywhere. It is weird.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:32 pm

A less knowledgeable and experienced owner than you, I would suggest a vet trip. You however know what you're doing. Keep an eye out. Sniff her mouth from time to time; if any infection or abscess develops, you should be able to smell it.

Hopefully it's just a one-off weirdness. I cut my mouth on corn chips too, so yeah. ;-)

Zaphy

Post   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:00 pm

I wanted to put a note here for my own benefit that Violet's started having some weird potential respiratory symptoms. It's very subtle so I'm not immediately concerned, but I wanted to make note of it here since I already forgot exactly when I noticed it- sometime in the last few days. Hasn't seemed to worsen since I noticed it but I will keep an eye (or ear) on it and probably make an appointment and mention it to the vet, since she'll be due for a checkup soon anyway.

Her lungs sound clear when I listen to them but her breathing sounds a little junky every now and then- whenever I do hear it, she's either eating or sleeping. I wouldn't call it a full blown hoot, more of a small grunt. No discharge, no other symptoms.

With her surgery drama earlier I honestly kind of suspect heart problems rather than the beginnings of a URI... but I suppose time will tell. Might make the vet take radiographs anyway even if he doesn't think it likely, just to be sure.

Zaphy

Post   » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:50 pm

Might as well put this on Violet's medical thread instead of Adelaide's now. Violet suffered a fall on the 19th and appeared to be okay immediately following, but has started to seem to have trouble eating starting last night. Her front teeth look fine, and she is still ingesting hay and pellets (treats too of course), but she's going a little slower and sometimes works her jaw and paws at her mouth as if something's stuck. I brought Violet to the vet today as a companion for her sister who had the actual appointment, and noticed her doing it again while her sister was being examined. I asked the vet how serious she would consider the behavior, and the vet said to email her a video if I saw Violet doing it again.

Trying to read up on broken teeth it seems like all the information is for a broken front tooth- is advice for a broken molar the same as for a broken front tooth, i.e. it's probably not an issue if the pig is still able to eat, and it should resolve itself? Of course, it's not like I can tell how bad the issue is if there is one... if the jaw itself were injured, that would probably be more serious and something we'd want to tackle sooner rather than later for fear of tooth overgrowth. And if a tooth is broken that has the potential for injury and infection, and I've been down the abscess road with Violet before with no desire to go down it again.

*Sometimes* she seems to be eating normally... so maybe I'm imagining things, or just letting my anxiety get the best of me. I hate how hard it is to tell sometimes.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:45 pm

Crossing fingers this resolves!

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:54 pm

How long did you fast him? My pig has surgery on Monday and the vet said to fast 12 hours which doesn't seem right.

Zaphy

Post   » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:14 pm

@MarlowePieper- Sorry this is a bit (lot) late! I assume you're talking about back when Violet had her abscess surgery and the tech told me to fast her for 12 hours beforehand. I withheld food/drink from her for a couple hours beforehand with the thought that it would make things a middle ground... But something that occured to me years after the fact is that since they always grab poops right from their bottoms to eat, you really can't stop them from eating completely anyway so I can't say there's any point in fasting them :)