Unsure of what happened to my pig

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:43 pm

I totally agree it is okay without removal but it is very important to get it trimmed!! I will add one of the pics you sent. Pinta used to use a "glass file" (that humans use for their nails) to file teeth down. It would be gentle and safe but slow and probably frustrating for you and your guinea pig (but it could work). Clipping, there is always the possibility of fracturing a tooth but it can work well if the tooth is basically sound. Not sure I would chance it myself unless I was desperate. MildredM had pics of how she trimmed her lethal's teeth. I will see if I can find her topic describing it.

The danger of having the teeth (either upper, lower, or both) too long is they can prevent closing the mouth and the long parts can injure the mouth. You probably don't have access to a Dremel tool, but it is a hand held tool with many attachments like a fine grinder which could also help.

It is my non-medical opinion that aiming to trim the top and bottom teeth so they meet, in hopes that they will wear properly. You can tell that the lower tooth is abrading against the long curved tooth to keep its length in check.

Here is your best picture - it is excellent and illustrates well the teeth:

Thank you for sharing your pics.

Edit: here is MildredM's entertaining topic about trimming teeth (a small part of the topic). I see her video no longer works, unfortunately. Fairy was quite cooperative. The position she is being held in might work for you. I believe she used a bone rongeur (not well pictured but in the background of a couple photos).
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 0#p1653180

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:51 pm

That tooth needs to be clipped off or pulled ASAP! That is painful to the tongue, and definitely interferes with eating.

Please do not wait. You need to find someone who can take care of that immediately!

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:40 pm

Well..we had some really bad luck..

1.9 we went for urine check on dog clinic-well, i went after repeated treatment with Marbocyl,after three weeks, there is still quite a bit of baccteria present and quite a bit erytrocites too..
I was kind of disturbed cause AB isnt working as fast as first time. And 6 weeks is maximum and we ran out of it(well we will on moneday)

And when things go wrong they really do go wrong..i called this clinic my pigs went to...out of all (too ) young people there the worst some rude vet tech answered the phone..i am sorry i didnt just put the phone down, tough..as always she not only doesnt want to help she kind of makes things worse, can you imagine? And she enjoyes being rude too people,..
She thinks it doesnt matter quality of life of animals-important is that all are checked out by them, regulary?! I mean hello.
Long story short she didnt wanna give us more Marbocyl, except IRie is checked out(fat chance), i have bad experience with exotic vets here and i trust my judgements the best-it was proven too many times i was right-so..anyway..she aint even a vet..but no vet had time..and she said as i confronted her with facts over lies that the vet can call back, i just said no thanks..cause we will try to get Marbocyl somewhere else for another 3 weeks, if we dont..its not wroking too great, anyway.
We will try again take urine for culture on our own in september. I belive we can succed and find the bacteria. With our rasta positive attitude and carefulness.

For tooth its pretty much the same..we will probably have it treated(without anasthesia and surgery) this tuesday,..so please keep fingers crossed for us.

And we wish all pigs on other topics the best, cause nothing is stronger than positive vibrations. And it is all that matters anyway.

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:11 pm

And i would like to ask you Enroxill here is much more available than Marbocyl..Enroxill syrup basicly every dog clinic have..is it dangerous, do you have any experience, please?
It should be same type of drug, but i think it works little different if i got it correctly..shame is Irie tolerates well only MArbocyl, tough he never tried enroxill..

Another question (weve got shilintong now we havent start it yet)-is one pill per day alright? and is there any drug to disolve stones-i ve heard here some vets prescribe Rowatinex(Sodium ethyl para-hydroxybenzoate and Sodium propyl p-hydroxybenzoate)

And btw..i think serious Irie is my last animal..i ve been having my very own for 20 years..and i think its enough..i love(d) them too much..anyway.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:32 pm

Enroxil is essentially Baytril.

Nothing will dissolve an existing stone.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:07 pm

You could ask your vet to try flushing stone first, less invasive. Our late Jinx had a stone we syringed more water. Time of surgery X-rays showed stone had gone. Worth a shot! Good luck! Don't give up on pets their love is precious and a wonderful thing! I don't know where I would be with out my fur babies love!

Lisa12

Post   » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:35 am

Thanks both so much!

We got Marfloxin 10% injectable solution on dog clinic.. from what i read injectable solution can be given orally. Our dossage was 0,1 ml. We previously got it on exotic clinic. So, its a bit difficult just getting medications somewhere else..altough they were really kind they said of course just come in, but have known them for the longest and always got on great so..its totally different..:).
If anyone has some more informations or own experience with MArbocyl(Marfloxin)pleaase write.
I havent decided yet if we will discountinue AB or have it for another 3 weeks.

Daisymay but flushing is with anasthesia, too right?
We will have it checked out once this year again and than we will see..

The plan is 1. tooth(we have exotic vet who do it like this(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNtQycmMwa0)
2.bacterial culture(we invented new method for Irie especially with something like guinea pig wc with hole in the middle and sterille cup under it..so he basicly is standing so he is feeling comfortable and cup so we can collect, but we are still in training, not completely prepared yet.
3. stone check out

And if we dont have any other issues this year that would be great..as Bob Marley said: on your way up, pull me up on your way down never let me down.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:00 am

To flush one needs water. For Jinx we syringed her extra water in hopes she'd pee it out and she did. But she was female. Irie is male a little harder but worth a shot? What do you think?

Lisa12

Post   » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:18 am

Okay, thanks i understand it,now..

Defenetly..idid gave him 4ml of extra water, when we tried for culture, but failed. We will try again..the stone must still be present, cause there is still blood( idont see it, but vets do in their analysis).

Its always worth a try in my oppinion..

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:15 am

We had tooth trimmed yesterday sucessfuly and it took one second, so thanks all who kept fingers crossed for us!

I would just like to write i know grinding is better method and our dear Lee was operated 4times sucesfully(he had genetic problem, severe teeth malocussion or how it is called), but his back teeth(all of them) were problem..

IRie however has never had any problem with teeth, only this with one front tooth came as results of biting the cage due to over excitment and old age i think, but now its alright.:)

NExt week we will try to finally get proper sample for bacterial culture(most likely at home).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:37 am

Glad it worked well for you.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:41 am

Very good!