Unsure of what happened to my pig

Lisa12

Post   » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:32 am

Thank you both!

And guinea pig wc is only working as far as he learned to put himself on wc..but he doesnt want to urinate..so we tried else.
Pediatric bag seems the best solution..it doesnt bother him and he urinates immidatly..
https://www.lekarnar.com/izdelki/romed- ... cka-100-ml

Only problem is..its a bit big for such a small animal so he sits on it..and touches with ass as well(i ll try to fix it differently)..otherwise he just waits with bag under him and urinates in like 15minutes and he eats happily between waiting, so thats alright..

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:49 am

Oh, clever idea. :)

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:21 am

UPDATE
Well urine bag didnt work out too good and we collected poops way more time, than urine, haha!..however..we succed in getting free catch urine, Irie urinated directly in to the cup..we got around 1ml of urine with piece of hair and some hay, yesterday..

We tried again in the morning, this time, he was like a boss, like a dog..he just did it again and we got 0,5ml without other things. We immidatly brought it to two really cool dog vets..and it will be send to lab.

Thanks to Sef, Daisymay, Lynx and bpatters for all advices, i think you re better than exotic vets, here!!..it sure did help! Hope sample for culture wont be useless but even if it is..

We did it best we could (and even better), we trained a lot..and i made sure..Irie ates a lot of cucumber and salad so he wasnt too annoyed(i was getting up between 5-8 ;was training each day..and thanks to your advices we were adding with vegetables, 3-8ml of water, we didnt get stone out, but i think it was very good because we trained to get sample for culture and flushing the bladder, too..so:).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:40 am

Fingers crossed that the urinalysis reveals something helpful!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:48 pm

We did it best we could (and even better), we trained a lot..

I can see you with a stopwatch cheering Erie on :-)

Also hoping you get useful info from the urinalysis.

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:49 am

Thanks, both!! We will report if we get proper results..

Yeah, Lynx,..haha..it was quite funny, for sure.. :). But as we couldnt do it at first, so we have to try many times so he got it that he s got to do it into the cup and that this is *right*behavior...i was running around cleaning us all, so it is *steryille* and my sister was cheering *lulat, lulat* and this is dog command for urinating in Slovenia:)..we sure got stopwatch as well..cause for culture you have to do it in the morning, ah:).

Lisa12

Post   » Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:38 am

I have just one more question -about stones..

Why are they doing operations with anasthesia if some vets are doing it like this?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKOswyMI72A
Is this right method or is it dangerous for pigs? Is it impossible to do it with male pigs...?

I am just thinking of the best future option for us,..excuse me for my lack of knowledge..

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:31 am

Usually the stones are in the bladder. If in the urethra (yes, easier for a female, larger opening), it can be anywhere along it. That it was visible and easy to remove was excellent luck. Guessing it would have passed on its own. However, the technique of numbing the area and gentle removal (we saw no blood) looked pretty good. Anesthesia still required for surgery.

It is amazing how large some stones can get. On the stones page, we mention shilintong, which is supposed to relax the urethra and make it easier to pass a stone. But one can never assume a stone can be passed. And on the other hand, any surgery for stone removal from the bladder should be immediately preceded by an xray to ensure it is still there.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:46 pm

That person routinely makes "do it yourself" videos from her rescue in LA (including, disturbingly enough, how to drain an abscess), but she is NOT a vet. While this procedure may work in *some* but certainly not all cases, I would just point out that this is definitely not something that a guinea pig owner, or even a shelter or rescue, should try to do on their own.

This is the same person who was spreading nonsense about high calcium in a guinea pig's diet being perfectly okay and not a potential contributor to stones.

Lisa12

Post   » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:54 pm

Thanks, so much for informations!
So, x-rays needs to be done before surgery..okay..and this method is not always possible..

We started shilintong today, actually! I didnt want to load him with everything and now he is been some time off AB(feeling good), so we sure hope to have some luck with it..

And, I noticed, Sef and also she is touching her face and than the wounded areas that gave it away..it can cause infection and its not sterylle..but yeah..whatever..we never used anybody for any surgery without having at least 10years of experiences(for all animals, not just pigs), anyway.

We hope surgery wont be needed, still..we will do stone check sometime this year as well..(x-rays and maybe ultasound, too if x-ray wont show nothing). And than we will run out in the car from vets as we always do.:).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:26 pm

That method ABSOLUTELY is not always possible. In fact it is rarely possible. The stone was just about to come out. The work of moving the stone from the bladder through the urethra had almost been done with no one's intervention. And ditto Sef that she is NOT any kind of vet.

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:07 am

Okay..so our bacterial culture analysis was useless...

It showed pseudomonas something that is normal bacteria from guinea pig skin. The vet said its seems to outgrow all other bacterias..so they isolated it or something like that. Urine was free catch, directly in to the cup.

We got normal analysis on dog clinic yesterday, too...(floor catch), the dog vet said its very little of bacteria currently, but quite a lot of blood(not visible for me, only in analysis and no leukocites) and no AB is needed.

The vet who was so kind and send our sample for culture..said she thinks seriously his main problem was the stone all along and infection was just present alittle bit or a little bit more sometimes. And that she would go back to the vet who found the stone on ultrasound(which is new exotic vet we found). She also said she thinks that if Irie is feeling so well, eating so well, she wouldnt complicate things, but its expected for problem to get worse if he wont pass the stone.
And that she knows exotic scene in Slovenia is a bit complicated..:) And thats such a nicely way to put it.

IRie is currently starting shilitong treatment. I hope we will push this stuff out somehow. We want to and we need to.

Luckily we at least got our brilliant exotic surgeon even if on the other side of the country..and she s very important member in our team!

Anyway..we will update if we get any new results..but for now..we did analysis on what we could. Thanks all :)