Unsure of what happened to my pig

Lisa12

Post   » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:02 am

Thanks!! whats written its seems similar what the main vet commented on the phone.

She said, they can do very short anasthesia to take safely sample for culture like you wrote before with the needle, we politely refused.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:20 pm

The wierd thing was i asked for Flagyl(used by different brand name, here), she called the main vet there i know very well(but he wasnt the good one that went to different job, he was the other one-it doesnt matter)-he is experienced but we never got along well and he said metronidazole doesnt help for UTI(huh, right, i didnt comment, but that was his oppinion-i belive it helped daisymay

Vet suggested Flagyl when Bactrim didn't work. Yes Flagyl did work that time. Have used it many times with good results. Good luck!

Lisa12

Post   » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:43 am

Thank you..:) Of course i agree with you. We can get stuff elsewhere, i just hope we wont needed...

I wrote 100times before its hard to have pigs here sometimes(and i know its hard anywhere in a way when pigs have problems), and that we alwaysasked for advices other very experienced vet who changed the job and even than it was quite hard for me to sort it out .
but it is now, what it is and Irie is strong pig despite age and i think my last one, so i am only grateful for all the pigs i had-they were all more than the best and to all of you for help..:)

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:58 am

I too and my piggies have suffered at hands of ignorant vets! I know where you're coming from!We can sympthanise with you! I lost count of how many piggies I have lost at the hands of vets. Here piggies mean nothing! If they get sick, dump them, replace them with a healthy one. Makes me so angry!!! Will get off my soap box now!

Lisa12

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:51 am

Irie was just enjoying floortime and he is very active and happy, but his urine results are still quite a lot of bacteria -one moth of Marbocyl did nothing and we sure aint to happy about it.

I brought Iries urine to another exotic vet(the one that ar ehelping us occasionaly), he said its not severe infection, middle range-results are quite well, except bacteria level, so we decided for one week off all AB, than 14 days of BActrim(and than another urine control with free catch so there wont be too many contamination as with floor catch) and if needed after 14 days of shilintong(irie is sensitive and i dont want to load him with ABs for no reason or that he takes too many things at once).

If i learned correct from Sef and Lynx, we have 480mg sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim tablet and we dissolve it in 5ml of water than concentration is 96mg/ml, right???
Vet wrote dossage is 0,16 ml (twice a day) and Irie s weight is 800g. Hope that is all correct.

HE was talking also about another reciept with half tablet, but i think he said for IRie whole pill and he put 5ml in the bottle already and he wrote 0,16ml(2x a day is dossage).

Lisa12

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:53 am

*he put 5ml of water in the bottle already

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:28 am

Ball parking and with a hand calculator, it looks like the dose your vet is suggesting is slightly more than 15mg (.16ml X 96mg/ml)

Looks a little low (under 20mg/kg). Standard dose is 30mg/kg.

For more precise calculations, see:
https://www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html

Lisa12

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:12 pm

Thanks!

Lisa12

Post   » Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:00 am

So,we werent able to get bene bac through custom services this time..in Slovenia its sometimes like 3rd world countries(no offense to anyone, but like in Kazkhstan or somethin). First they did mistake twice and i think they even lost already paid package..

I found this-can anyone check it out..its human probiotic-for kids:
https://www.viridian-nutrition.com/Shop ... -P528.aspx#
we have this available...i am concerned about Prebiotic FS2-60-Full spectrum prebiotic oligosaccharide and plant-derived inulin
is that okay?
Other ingredients seems okay to me..we re starting BActrim tomorrow..so i need something in case of troubles..otherwise we can stop using it.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:37 am

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=GUINEA+PIG+P ... nb_sb_noss

You can make poop soup too. Get poops from a healthy guinea pig squish them, add bit of water(enough for it to suck into a syringe)mix and give to Irie. It takes a strong stomach to do it. Smell bad enough.

I have same problem as you. I am in Australia and lots of things don't get past customs. Good luck!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:35 am

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:45 am

I wish i wouldnt have to write here, anymore..and we would just enjoy life..well we do but..
As baccteria totally ignored one month of MArbocyl, we got also bad luck with Bactrim.
Irie s got no erytrocites or leukocytes in urine, but he s got full of bacteria again. HE s feeling fairly well(urine issmelling absolutely awful)and i wont describe how i am feeling cause it really doesnt matter-when i cannot anymore i do selfless.

I never wanted just load pigs with AB and Irie is extreamly sensitive..and he has to take something we have to be really careful and than its shows its all for nothing.

I spoke to exotic vet and he said we should try bactrim for two more weeks(i dont belive its working at all) and than he can give us flagyl, but he warned me its little chance to work as it s not typically for uti. HE also mentioned maybe try with azytromicin(Irie handles this well),cause since irie cant handle tetracyclines at all(once he almost died after just two dossage-severe bloat, double size belly)-i dont think it makes sense to do that again.

I did my online research and what i could find was chlorophenicol and fosfomicyn, but i doubt we would get this here..so anybody knows anything about it?

For now we willadd extra water-we started yesterday and adding shilitong(i searched one already asking this on this forum and you all wrote yes but you need to watch out.

If anyone has time and better ideawhat to choose next please write, sure we wont take 5 abs, we will choose something else and thats it.

Daisymay and question for you, please if you can confirm your pigs had uti and a lot of bacteria and after flagyl bacterial level was 0 i mean okay?