Jay and Jersey's thread

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:16 pm

Treat him for mites.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:14 pm

Yes, if he is biting at it, there is something wrong.

There are normal parts of hair loss inside the leg due to rubbing the face but biting most likely indicates pain.

War Wounds, Abrasion, And Miscellaneous Mechanical Hair Loss
https://www.guinealynx.info/hairloss.html#warwounds

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:27 pm

Ditto. And to this I would add...I wouldn't use an antibiotic on that if there's no infection. Hopefully she hasn't licked enough off to cause digestive issues.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:14 am

Thanks Lynx ad Sef! If mites she would I think be dead as she has always been a biter. She also lives alone-too spiteful to live with others! Now Vet says Jay has soft palette recently when syringe feeding she coughs a lot even though I go extra slow-should I be worried? Any slower and I would be warming it after every 5 syringes. Takes over an hour to feed her!

Maybe her biting could be an allergy? Like maybe the hay? All the pigs bite themselves but Jay really gets stuck into it! Thanks in advance. Jay even if she could boss the boys. She is a little terror.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:18 am

A soft pallette? I have never heard of that condition.

Could you tell me again what food you are hand feeding her?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:36 am

I feed them silverbeet, oak lettuce, continental cucumber, cherry tomato, carrot, meadow hay, under a year get lucerne hay, over a year gets Oaten hay, Timothy hay, under year young cavy pellets over year adult pellets.

The noise Jay makes is like snoring and it can get very loud. Mainly happens when she is resting. I am handfeeding Anise Critical Care, I stick adult Oxbow pellets and Oxbow Timothy hay into coffee grinder(clean one just for pigs) and I put into containers. I add 4 teaspoons of C&C with 4 teaspoons of Timothy and pellets and add water. Jewel gets the same with no hassles. I can feel no lumps or bumps in mouth or throat area. Thanks Lynx.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:42 pm

What you are feeding sounds great!

If Jay has a "soft pallette" perhaps this means there is tenderness? Might an even finer grind help if you are feeding her?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:14 pm

Thanks Lynx. Jay went to vet yesterday to get hormone injection. Where her nipples attach to body is very dry and rough. And her hind feet are red. Vet suggested Lanolin cream. Is this safe for piggies? She also has dermatitis on front paw vet suggested eye/ear ointment but not sure if safe as tried twice and she licked it off. Appreciate suggestions.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:58 pm

Thanks Lynx. Yes read those but didn't like they cyst page as it insinuates that hormone therapy injections don't work long term. Yet Jessie bless her soul was on the injections for over 3 years and shrunk her cyst to almost nothing.

The bumblefoot page doesn't fit her and Jewel as their feet are just red and no scabs. As they get older I find they move around less and end up with red feet. Thanks again.

What cream is safe for her in case she licks it off? For nipples and feet. https://www.google.com/search?q=creams+ ... s-wiz-serp

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:05 pm

I have used vitamin E oil on feet and nipples when I had Lacey. I bought the cosmetic vitamin E, not the vitamin capsules that you swallow.

I also used a natural chapstick-type lip balm like Burt’s Bees and that worked well. Easy to use in the little tube.

And I used diaper rash cream in her feet. Just massage it in well. It’s made to sit on the skin and protect against moisture so a little goes a long way.