Jay and Jersey's thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:53 am

Does definitely sound like sludge. Perhaps increase fluids?

I recall with my guinea pigs that after eating a bunch of romaine, they would have pee that included a white paste left on the towel. This would happen shortly after eating a pile of it. Perhaps an hour or two, was a long time ago.

Maybe you could do an analysis of diet and do an elimination test of various vegetables to see if one of them stands out as the cause. Romaine doesn't seem to be really high in calcium but it did definitely cause pasty discharge.

Trying to address this would be especially needed if an xray showed sludge in the bladder and there was a fear of developing stones.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:39 am

Not sure what you call gourmet or oak lettuce but this is what I buy, though Jay will only eat it if she has to. No can do X-ray as have no vet at present time.

Would have thought handfeeding would be enough fluid for her. I believe I might be wrong but romaine lettuce is called cos here? Thanks for posting Lynx. Much appreciated. Keep you posted.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:28 pm

Extra fluids can still help. You are not aiming for hydration but for flushing the bladder.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:04 pm

She is losing weight even with handfeeding. I am trying my best but looking bleak. Thanks Lynx.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:32 pm

Have put her on Meloxicam as thinking she maybe in pain-lack of movement, sleeping etc. Have added 3X1mls of extra water at every hand feed. So that makes 5 all up each feed. Keep you posted and thanks.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:46 am

Well there was silly season of Christmas then New Year and now those damn hats again. Me turned 5 today. Where has the time gone? I remember the first time I came here and the love I got made me feel so good.

Now excuse the pictures as mum is all alone, bad camera, one hand holding camera, one hand holding hat and me turning around. So she had hands full.

For my birthday I got some nice comfy cushions for when mum syringe feeds me. Been getting loads of cuddles and loving today and all the time.

For those interested in little ol' me I still have no control over my pee and poop and the fishy smell is bad. Mum has had me on Bactrim to no avail. My weight is stable and appetite the same. So again excuse picture please.

Image Excuse the poops mum had just syringe fed me and massaged me with toofy brush. At least they look normal but at times they are very dry.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:19 am

For last 12 months on vets advice have been milking Jay because they feel she is producing too much urine-b*llsh*t I know but have been doing it as scared she will become impacted with poopies.

Now poopies are odd shape, sometimes too moist other times so dry they just crumble. But recently have noticed when I gently squeeze there is a small lump there like a poop that won't come out. Is that normal? I ask as Jay is first piggy I have ever milked. Where a female private bits are a Y Jay's is a Y with a O at the bottom. Now this O is always open. She too is losing weight. Not a lot around 10grams per day.

Recently poops stuck together and solid but like toothpaste squeezed from a tube. The fish odour is the same and urine is sticky but no sludge or anything like that. With Jay will also keep you posted. Just wish I could take her to a vet but when you don't drive options are limited. Thanks to anyone who posts.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:39 am

Sorry, but no idea what these instructions mean. A motility drug makes more sense.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:20 am

Thanks Lynx. When ever I syringe feed her the vet said 12 months ago to squeeze her private part and empty her of urine. But now 95% of it is poops not pee. I think it is cruel and I hate it and so does she! Motility drug helps with poops, she does enough of those. The milking is for pees. Thanks again. Sorry if I confused you. Off to bed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:21 pm

Do some experimenting and cut back, by only following these instructions every other day for a week. See if there is a difference.

If not, then less frequently. I do not recall directions of this type given by any vet for a guinea pig.

It sounds strange.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:29 am

Thanks Lynx. Not done any milking today so far. The fishy smell is ripe but she seems much happier. Just wish I liked fish smell. Poops are also normal now. She is dribbling pee.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:42 am

Fishy smell indicates she has a yeast infection. Try some Nystatin? Ask your vet for an oral treatment.
https://www.guinealynx.info/antifungal_agents.html