Jewel and Jinx's medical thread

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:30 am

Okay, I am not sure if they have another thread somewhere but can't find it so sorry if they do have one. Have just finished cleaning Jinx a 3 year old female and noticed she is passing blood when urinating.

There is no squeaking no signs of pain. She is eating and maintaining weight. Have booked her into see vet Tuesday. Any suggestions? When will this nightmare end? Vets are clueless. I know she will need X-rays but what else?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:54 am

Choloe passed blood years ago and it was found she had tumour wrapped around her bladder. She was allowed to sleep forever.

Then Zoe also passed blood it too was tumours but this time on the uterus which was removed! Keeping close eye on Jinx and have her on white towel. Thanks in advance.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:39 am

We have only had males here, and blood in the urine has always meant either UTI, bladder stones or both. Urinalysis and xrays are a good start. Hopefully it's something as "simple" as a bladder infection. If so, ask for SMZ. It's the go-to med for UTI and generally well tolerated, but with your pigs' history of tummy trouble, do use probiotics if ABs are needed.

Otherwise, I imagine other imaging will be needed to look for reproductive issues.

Good luck on Tuesday.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:14 am

Ditto Sef. Most common, bladder stones. An infection of the uterus (pyometra) is a possibility. Any squeaking while peeing?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:22 am

Hopefully it's something as "simple" as a bladder infection. If so, ask for SMZ.

What is SMZ? Take people who have depression in the USA you have say 60 different drugs one could take. Here we have around 15. So not sure if vet will have SMZ. SMZ is Bactrim. So if Jinx has an infection I will ask for more Bactrim.

Jill is currently on Bactrim and has been for 2 weeks. As she was eating and losing weight. Teeth checked but OK.Then it took them 3 goes to work out Jaffa had spurs and tongue trapped and had hole in it. So who knows with Jill and her teeth? So far NO ill affects on Jill she is on Protexin too.
Any squeaking while peeing?
No squeaking while peeing or pooping. No symptoms at all except for the blood which is bright in colour. Going to ask for X-rays, Urine test, anything else?

Thanks Sef and Lynx! This is the first time Jinx has been sick. She and her sister Jewel are three.(February 28th 2020).

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:02 pm

Daisymay, I hope this is something easily treatable. You take such good care of your piggies, I’m hoping for the best!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:52 am

Thank-you for the reply ItsaZoo. Since I posted there has not been much blood. Just little spots. Still going to the vet for ease of mind. Will take Jill in too to get her weighed on their scales. To see if she is improving. Will keep you posted. Thanks again!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:22 am

Vet had a few emergencies to contend with so Jinx is rebooked for tomorrow. Funny thing is she passed blood Easter Sunday but hasn't done so since. Do sows have that time of the month and is that what we saw? It was the size of my pinkie finger nail.

White towels have been clean except for first one where she did a pee with pink blood in it and small blotches on it. The last 3 towels have been clean. What do you think?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:03 am

From what I understand, it is not common but can happen with certain females. If you do a search on the Medical board for "bleed" and user name "bpatters" (without quotation marks), you'll find a number of threads where this has been answered and may be helpful to you.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:57 am

Took Jinx to the vet. On queue Jinx wee'd the table top. Tested and no blood. Had abdomen manipulated and she felt no crystals or stones. She believes that maybe Jinx passed a stone. Was told keep an eye on her and bring her back if happens again and X-rays maybe taken. Thanks for the reply Sef.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:06 am

Interesting and entirely possible on having passed a stone. It's a lot more common with females than males, and just something you'll want to keep an eye on. Lowering overall calcium in the diet may help prevent future stones.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:32 am

I am sure you already know that palpating the abdomen will not tell you if there are crystals or stones in the bladder. They can only be ruled out by xray (or perhaps by ultrasound, though xray is much better).

I hope she is fine going forward.