Jewel and Jinx's medical thread

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:27 am

By "dog" Meloxicam, do you mean that it's the 1.5mg/ml formula?

That seems like a very low dose to me. I would verify with your vet she is only to be given a single daily dose at 0.05mls. For the "dog" formula (1.5mg/ml) and based on her weight, a standard single dose would look more like 0.12mls, which could be divided in half and given twice a day (0.06mls each time) for more consistent pain management.

Good post-op info can be found here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/postop.html

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:48 am

Ooh - that is rough surgery! Good luck with recovery - my fingers are crossed!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:36 am

"...dissected bladder"

This sounds very risky! It sounds like you had to have the surgery to give her a chance. I hope she makes it.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:58 am

Agree. Which is why good pain management will be so very essential. Fingers crossed for a good outcome.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:57 pm

Jinx made it through the night. Lost 50grams during yesterday/last night. Poops have dried up. Still nibbling on her food and being hand fed. Have her in small container, if she continues as she is will put her back in her cage tonight. She is urinating.

Thanks for replies and well wishes bpatters, Sef, PooksiedAnimals and Lynx. Keep you posted.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:32 am

I am just curious as to whether it is normal for Jinx to have NO bladder control? At her private part there is always fluid which I assume is urine.

So far the blood on towel has stopped around stitches and no swelling or weeping. If you could let me know about the urine I would feel a little better.

She has always had a weak bladder to begin with. Lost count on how many times she has peed on me. Jemma was the same. Normally you get 15-20 minute cuddle time but with Jinx and Jemma it was 5-10 minutes. Have put her on Metamide to help get things moving.

Thanks so much keep you posted.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:57 am

Can not find any Pedialyte unflavoured in Australia so am just syringing her water. Seems fine with this.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:20 am

By "dog" Meloxicam, do you mean that it's the 1.5mg/ml formula?

Yes that is correct. I have some left over cat one so will give her 0.02ml in 10 minutes and start twice a day tomorrow. Vet said not to start till tonight as she gave Jinx a pain injection. Keep you posted. I think injection is wearing off.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:32 am

Are you sure you have the decimal in the right place on these dosages? 0.02ml is a miniscule amount. Given her weight of 950 grams (or .95 kg), a mid-dose of Meloxicam for the .5mg/ml ("cat") formula would be roughly 0.38ml, which you could divide in half and give approx. 0.2ml twice a day (rather than 0.02ml). I think you have right idea but maybe moved the decimal to the wrong place when you typed it. Just making sure, as a fraction of that dose would not be of much benefit.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:47 am

I actually gave 0.3mls seeing as first dose since injection. Tomorrow will start with 0.2mls. Is it safe to give her this after only 12 hours when she got 0.3mls?

She is quiet, not eating nor moving. She also has cloudy weepy eyes which vet noticed yesterday but didn't think to tell me. Thankfully she is on Bactrim. By the way for now her weight was at 7.00am 980grams. Thanks Sef.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:00 am

Well, since you already gave it to her it's probably a moot point, but her first dose was an injection vs. oral med so I would assume it was safe to do so. It's always best to check with your veterinarian if you are unsure.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:21 am

Jinx got the injection yesterday. I gave her the oral cat Meloxicam tonight 24 hours after the injection. Vet told me NO pain medication orally for 24 hours after the injection.

My question was tonight I gave her 0.3mls orally is it safe for me to give her orally 0.2mls after the 0.3mls 12 hours earlier orally? So then can do 0.2mls twice a day. It would mean she would get 0.5mls in 12 hours one time only. That is my question. Thanks Sef.