Jewel and Jinx's medical thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:36 am

Daisymay writes:

JINX

28/02/2017 TO 29/05/2022

My darling baby this has been so hard for me to do. We were never close till 6-8 weeks before you left me and we bonded as I syringe fed you!

You were so quiet and gentle. The day I had to let you go still hurts and haunts me now. Due to not being able to drive and covid I couldn't be with you at the end. I fed you at midnight and had slight head tilt.Come 8.30am when I got up you were limp but making out painful squeaks. If I had known our time together was drawing to a close I would not have put you through that surgery. How I wish you were still here a cuddle from you made all my worries go away! Lately you had started to lick the bridge of my nose like little kisses. I always called you chocolate bear or licorie stick because of your colouring. How I wish I could feel you in my arms and see your sparkling eyes looking into my heart. For now will take care of your sister Jewel and be a good girl at the bridge till we can be all together once more!

RIP my precious little Lamb! Gone but never forgotten. Like those before you you took a piece of my heart with you. Vet thought maybe a stroke. Hope not antibiotic vet gave you after surgery. Could not live with myself if so. I will try and stay strong. Thank-you for coming into my life and enriching it by being in it Bless you my darling!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:30 am

https://imgur.com/uKTjGGT Bit concerned. She is of her food. Thankfully already syringe feeding her. Lost 20grams over night too.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:16 am

Success! So glad you set up an imgur account!! Jewel is very cute. At first look, she appears to be a good weight.

I think you are familiar with the veterinary guidelines on this page for evaluating weight?
https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html#condition

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:31 am

Thanks Lynx! Took Jay, Jewel and the boys to the vet yesterday. On Monday Jewel developed crackly breathing. Jewel with her crackly breathing even though heart, lungs were clear as were eyes,(though did water a few days back) nose a bit wet has been put onto a course of Bactrim again. Just once I would like temperature taken. Ears were a little waxy, vet clipped claws and made the mistake of touching Jewel's favourite front paw. She wasn't fast enough and Jewel nipped her finger.
Jewel God willing will be 6 in February she is 1180grams is this too fat? Before I started syringe feeding her she was eating but losing weight. She went from 1165grams to 910grams with in 3 weeks. I don't know what to do that is good for her. I will try giving her 5 less each feed(fed 3 times a day Critical Care that is) and see how she goes. Thanks Lynx. I think all my threads have been updated. Next time must take Joan to vet who has never gone, Justice too.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:17 am

I can't say if she is too fat. The link I posed just above has veterinary guidelines for determining condition and if a guinea pig is on the thinner side or heavier side, to help make care and medical decisions. So weight alone is not enough.

Hope the crackling goes away.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:53 pm

Took Jewel 10 days before breathing returned to normal. So much for vet saying keep her on Bactrim for 5 days. I kept her on it for 14 days. Her weight is now hovering 1095g to 1120grams. Thanks Lynx.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:04 am

Sounds like the Bactrim helped!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:20 pm

Daughter thinks that weight is just fine. We've had several pigs around the same weight plus given her age, weight loss can be a problem. Of course some of that weight loss is due to loss of muscle mass due to aging. It also gives her a pad (no pun intended) for the weight loss if she gets sick again.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:30 am

Is it safe to get hay from a horticulturalist? This week I have had to take Justine, Joan and Jack to vet due to hay seeds in their eye. Would love opinions please. Told had no seeds, good healthy hay. I have my doubts.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:42 am

I would say take a look at it and figure out if you like it. Make sure the stems are not too stiff (straw-like).
www.guinealynx.info/hay.html

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:20 am

Jewel lost 100grams in a week, yesterday her breathing was crackly so as going to vet with Joan took Jewel with me. At first breathing normal then she started.

Jewel has a URI and is on Bactrim for 6 days, last time it took her 3 weeks to get over it. Damn vets! She was NOT prepared to go beyond 6 days and was appalled I went for 3 weeks! And did not believe some go a month or two. Bet she'll want Doxycycline next. NO way! Keep you posted! This time she could hear cracking in chest.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:15 am

I hope you have success with the bactrim - though it is more useful for UTIs. Most frequently Baytril (enrofloxacin) is prescribed. You are right the 6 days is pretty short. Was she on Bactrim the last time?