Thread for Pinky

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:18 pm

Is this the bitey guinea pig? I wonder if pain or vision issues might contribute to his scared behavior.

When the vet first examined your guinea pig, a dye is sometimes applied which would make seeing an abrasion easier. I think it also possible it is a recent abrasion. Glad it is improving.

Was a blocked tear duct explored? Not rereading, but I recall advising someone in the last month perhaps to use warm, wet compresses and gentle massage around the eye to help clear the tear duct if the eye fluid is not draining properly.

daj

Post   » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:40 pm

This is not the biter. She didn't use a dye. But it still seems weird if an abrasion has lingered from April and just lately become visibly obvious. I suppose it;s possible though. And, I am not sure if she considered a blocked duct. I will have to ask her about this.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:48 pm

If it is abraded, using a warm wet compress and gentle massage might interfere with the healing.

I hope this heals. Do agree it is a pretty long time for the issue to have been an abrasion all along.

daj

Post   » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:45 pm

Pinky has had eye issues for years. He's been on ointments and drops. There has never been an abrasion. His eyes would weep, and he started getting a hazy white spot. He's been seen by at least 3 vets, and the recent one has had him on tacrolimus drops for about 4 months. At first it seemed to reduce the spot, and it has greatly reduced the weep. Now I've noticed a prominent white spot on the eye I previously thought was clear. His other eye was the first to show a hazy spot, but that one looks OK to me since being on the tacrolimus. He saw the vet the other day, and he recommended continuing as is. I will call to question this if that's what I should do. I assume it is a matter of cataracts. He is about 3, and fair, as in would be white with a brown patch if he weren't a skinny. I have seen some sites that treat cataracts as not much concern and say the pig will adapt. Any advice?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:01 pm

I was thinking cataracts too. There are veterinary ophthalmologists - is that who you are seeing? Yes young. I too would hope he would adapt. Placing food in familiar locations will help.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:32 pm

One of our pigs had a white spot in her eye and the vet said it wasn't a problem & didn't treat it. We have a vague recollection she said something about a calcification.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:48 pm

There is a great deal of information (with pictures) on the eyes page, along with links to eye conditions in the Records Forum.

You might want to check that out too (what Bookfan is referring to may be one of the "osseous" conditions).
https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html

daj

Post   » Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:52 pm

While my attention was focused on another pig, I am now realizing his litter mate is having issues. What I noticed at first was that his appetite is off, and he was chewing the cage at night. I had him to the vet for this a while back, and the vet trimmed his teeth, but that was unnecessary, and I think this confirms it. It looks like the same, recurring condition, He now has an eye that's getting crusted and his breathing is labored. He is also staying in just one section of the cage, which is unusual. I don't think I will be able to get an emergency appointment. I have him scheduled for Monday at 10:40. I'm really concerned about him going that long without treatment. His poops also seem to be going from hard and plugging him up, to soft, and he has squealed a number of times when pooping.

He hasn't eaten much the past few days. I've syringed some critical care, vitamin C and dissolved pellets this morning. That may be part of the alternating poop quality. In my experience, the critical care can give loose stools. I was thinking this is respiratory primarily. If so, I wonder how dangerous trying to hold out until Monday is?

daj

Post   » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:45 pm

Right now I am thinking I will start him on the Baytril I have for Peanut. I'm think that is a safer risk than him waiting until Monday with no treatment.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:39 pm

Ideally you would give antibiotics under the supervision of a vet. He seems to be very ill. If you choose to give the Baytril, I sure hope it helps. Re-evaluate in the morning. If you have good emergency services that can handle exotics, they might be able to help tomorrow. Guinea pigs can go downhill very quickly. The hand feeding you are doing is so important.

daj

Post   » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:03 pm

Pinky is gone. When I took him out for his third syringe feeding tonight he was already getting cold. He was allowing the syringe but not chewing. Then he fought to get away, so I realized he needed to go back in the cage. When I put him back he wasn't able to stand. I covered him and he passed shortly after. I had given him a dose of Baytril earlier this evening. In retrospect, his recent symptoms lead me to believe this was something congenital that was they same underlying condition he saw vets for on numerous occasions, crusted eyes, lack of appetite, chewing at the cage. He is the litter mate of Peanut. I took them as rescues. Peanut's infection seems to be progressing despite the Baytril, the chlorhexidine, Blu Kote and foot wrapping. I wonder if they both have/had congenital issues that have never been picked up on. This has been a sad, rough time in this house.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:07 pm

Oh, I am so sorry to hear he's gone. The description you gave of his condition, I worried that he might not make it.

You have all our sympathy.