Thread for Melvin

daj

Post   » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:42 pm

I di do a bath this afternoon, and it seemed to help. We did it when the house was warmest, I only let him stand in it, and I had a radiant heater on him. Things looked much better down there, but I will continue to monitor him. I also need to rouse them from their beds every now and then. I work the rest of the week though, so they will be sedentary for large portions of the day. Still no word on the furnace fix. I'm just hoping it comes soon.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:20 pm

47 is definitely nippy. I've been foregoing fires multiple nights these days. Am temps have been high 50's or low 60's. If the cage during the day is in front of a sunny window, that will help warm them up.

Hope your gentle persistence will pay off and you can get him cleaned up. If you have a radiant heater to provide localized heat and can fully dry him, soaking his butt in warm water may really help.

daj

Post   » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:26 am

I've given Melvin 2 baths, and his problem seems not so much an impaction at this point. But, his pocket opening seems puckered outward, and the outside is tending to be encrusted with dried poop. All else seems fine with him though. Recently I did try getting him back on half pellets (OB GS) and half wet mix, but his pain came back. My furnace is due to be installed this Thurs. I am wondering if I should take him in or just try keeping him oiled? I'm sure it's not good for his opening to not be normal like the other guys.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:14 am

Interesting. Inverted anal sac?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:09 pm

What are OB GS pellets?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:39 pm

I think Oxbow Garden Select. ;)

daj

Post   » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:50 pm

Yes, Oxbow GS. I don't know if his anatomy was always this way or if it is recently developed, but I wonder if it's a concern...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:13 am

Sounds like an evaluation by a very knowledgeable veterinarian who works with lots of guinea pigs might answer some of your questions.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:38 am

Agree. I'd be interested to see what that looks like. I've seen inverted penises but not an inverted anal sac.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:18 am

You are welcome to send me a crisp clear photo to post if you can take one:

daj

Post   » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:12 pm

OK, thanks. I will try to get it tomorrow. Today was finally furnace install day. Finally... warmth!

daj

Post   » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:31 am

Ugh... believe it or not, this is a before and after. 1186 is after a soak that removed 1 stuck on, flattened poop, and more picking with oil & Q-tip. I didn't realize the after shot was still looking pretty bad. The flash revealed it's a lot dirtier than I could see from my vantage point. I realize now, that I also need educating on GP anatomy. I thought the butthole was up in the pocket. But Melvin was pushing out poops when I was working on him, and they weren't coming from his pocket. Do they have a separate butthole in addition to the pocket opening? I'm only realizing now, that I never gave in much thought. I see them pooping, but it never occurred to me they were not dropping from the pocket. Now I'm confused.

That aside, it looks pretty messy and in need of attention, right?