Thread for Melvin

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:30 am

Thanks for the pics! I think the second one is more clear than the first. Hopefully a boar owner can help you! (I have only had females):
[SHOW]
I think the first:

I think the second:

Detailed closeup of the second. I think the penis is on the top.
Have you worked the edges to see if there is anything more inside?

daj

Post   » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:51 pm

I have tried and will go at it again today after another soak. It seems strange to me how it all doesn't just wash off. It's like dried glue. That's what makes the whole thing so difficult, trying to remove it without hurting him.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:53 pm

What you are seeing may be "boar glue" (guinea pig ejaculate). It is reportedly impossible to get off the skin and one waits until the adjacent layer of skin peels/falls off.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:06 pm

Wow! I really have not seen anything quite like that. I did, however, find a brief reference to "inverted anal sac" right here on GL's impaction page (scroll down a bit):
https://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html

Also, this on GPC:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/th ... tantly-out

I don't know if the above poster has a thread here on GL or not. I did a cursory search of the medical forum here on "hyperplasia," but that only revealed some threads related to a condition of the uterus.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:55 pm

Glad you weighed in. Unusual.

The picture on the impaction page of a "normal" inverted anal sac is close to this, except for the crustiness. And the GPC pictures, also quite similar.

From the GL page:

daj

Post   » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:07 pm

Thanks All. I suppose this warrants a visit to have it looked at, do you agree?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:19 pm

I really think that I would, just to rule out any inflammation or infection that might need to be treated. If you do opt to have it looked at, I'll be curious as heck to hear what your vet as to say.

daj

Post   » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:47 pm

The exotics vet has a 2 1/2 week wait and only works when I work. BUT, hard as this may be to believe, his pocket opening is has been back to normal for the past few weeks. I couldn't believe it. The only thing I can figure is that it had something to do with the cold and inactivity while our furnace was out. There was nothing else unusual going on at that time.

Also, any thoughts on raw honey as a sweetener? I've been using apple juice concentrate and molasses, but just got the honey when I didn't see the molasses. I've been using a combination due to a concern with possible pesticides or other contaminants in any of them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:38 pm

So glad to hear it is looking normal! Not rereading but what were you planning to use the sugar for?

daj

Post   » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:44 pm

My own mixture that I use as a substitute for pellets. He doesn't seem to like the honey though, so I guess I'm sticking with molasses.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:37 pm

Can you skip the sweetener? Adding sugars sounds like something a human would do to make food more palatable - but if you have quality ingredients, I don't see any dietary benefit. I think of the sugars in commercial pellets being used to bind the ground ingredients together, not for their nutritional value.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:08 am

Too much sugar is dangerous for guinea pigs.