Ravioli Medical Thread - Teeth

Leb
Supporter in '08

Post   » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:33 am

Ravioli is a male and about 1.5 years old approx. A few months ago he had purplish bruising on his lip and that is how I noticed a missing top tooth. I read the teeth files and just kept it clean and ensured he could eat normally. His tooth grew in really fast and he was back to normal.

Two days ago he had slightly less purple bruising on his lips and sure enough, a tooth was gone again, now the day prior I had checked his teeth and they were fine. This time he was having trouble eating and I noticed the other top tooth was wiggly. This morning the other top tooth is gone now too.

I am pretty sure I can see two fresh little white tooth nubs at the top. But I am so puzzled how this happened again unless it was a fall. The pigs are my daughter's and she is swearing (this time and last) that he didn't fall. She is crying and so upset and usually, I know when she is lying but the purple bruising leads me to believe it was a fall?

I am writing to check if it is possible he could have hurt himself, he chews on the bars when he hears the sink go (thinking his veggies are coming). Also, he is the only one that chews the coroplast. Also, could his housemate have hurt him? They rumble each other and possibly nip but nothing serious I have ever seen.

Will he be okay to eat w two missing top teeth?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:33 pm

Yes, it is possible bar chewing is contributing to this. Consider a large cage with plexiglass walls that he can't chew on. A missing tooth sometime needs to regrow a second time and even in some cases a third time.

Start weighing daily right now to ensure he is able to get enough food to maintain his weight. Tips for broken teeth on this page:
https://www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:54 pm

The bar chewing absolutely can cause that. Your best bet is to line the inside of the cage on the sides where he chews. For my pigs, it worked to just line the side closest to the refrigerator.

luciham20

Post   » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:09 am

Thanks for the information on this. I really enjoy the information. google

Leb
Supporter in '08

Post   » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:41 pm

Adding this to medical even though I am not sure it is, but for the past 3 days the two male pigs have been fighting, I will hear chaos from their room and they have severe teeth chattering, last night they both had tuffets of each other's hair in their mouths. They are about 2 and have been together since babies. I cleaned the cage removed them, held them, and then held them together. Is there anything else I can do?

Also one I found out chewed off a big piece of their C&C cage, in addition to their cage they have a C&C insert where is their bedroom area, and about 4 inches by 2 inches is chewed off. They have boxes to chew on, hay, tunnels...Is this bad to eat that much?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:30 pm

Bigger cage? Reintroductions? I wonder if their teenage hormones are kicking in.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:33 am

Sometimes pairings break down. Some can be separated for a few days and reintroduced and some can't. I've seen it before with BJ. Right before I adopted him, he had a cage buddy whom he had been paired with for over 4 years and had to be permanently separated for fighting. If they are 2 years old, they are both in their prime hormonal stage. You should read the introduction information and try to get them back together, but be prepared to separate them permanently. Some pigs just prefer to be alone and thats ok as long as they are getting enough attention from you.

Something else you should check is their health. BJ had mites that we're driving him crazy and I'm convinced that had a lot to do with the pairing falling apart. Mites, parasites or anything health wise that would make them grumpy would cause fighting. A simple wellness visit to a vet with guinea pig experience should eliminate the possibility or fix any issues if there are any.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:50 am

Ditto Renonvsarky. Make sure to eliminate medical issues. Some good links for introductions/reintroductions can be found on this page if you have to separate them for a bit and then reintroduce them:
https://www.guinealynx.info/companionship.html

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:07 pm

Some minor health issues are very subtle and easy to miss. Not every health problem causes lack of eating or weight loss. Try to imagine what mood you would be in if you itched all of the time and couldn't scratch it, or if you felt discomfort that you can't relieve. Have their feet and nails, ears and furr checked. It's worth a wellness visit to eliminate those as a possibility. I can't see anything negative about getting a checkup.

Leb
Supporter in '08

Post   » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:16 am

I have a pet store GP cage I saved from when I adopted them, I saved it in case I needed a "medical" cage, I just set it up and Ravi is in it and seems happy. This morning the side of his lip is all dried dark blood and by his ear. Meanwhile, he is the aggressor, I put them in together for a second while I set up the cage, and Ravi just rumblestruts Joey and sticks his nose in his oil gland, Joey tries to run and the teeth chattering begins.

I had a tiny thyroid pig years ago that was not able to love with others and I zip-tied a grid between the cage, it worked well because they would sleep together but with a grid, all intros failed. So I will keep Ravi till he heals attempt an intro in a week? Then if not separate the cage? Take him to the vet in between. Do they get baths and a clean cage before a new intro? Should I hold them together this week?

Also not sure if this is relevant, but I noticed their "bickering" no blood or anything serious, so several days ago when they were chasing each other around I took them out to clip their nails. Ravi moved the last min and I clipped his nail too short and it bled a lot. I have never done that before. It seems fine now but he has dark nails and dark fur and skin so hard to see blood and bruising whereas Joey is mostly white so easy to see.

Leb
Supporter in '08

Post   » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:29 pm

We are going to the vet tomorrow, tonight I am noticing he is shaking his head, like tilting to one side every now and again. I have never dealt with this, and not sure what causes it?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:15 pm

The vet will check out the ear and look for signs of parasites or infection (more common issues) and hopefully rule out any other issues. Unsure how it would tie in with the initial problems with fighting. Let us know what the vet says.