Ravioli Medical Thread - Teeth

Leb
Supporter in '08

Post   » Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:34 pm

I actually couldn't wait so I went to an E vet, an 8-hour wait at the first, drove an hour further, and was seen. He has a double ear infection that is blood and pus, so I am assuming he was fighting his friend bc he didn't feel well. Although he was acting fine besides that. The Doctor said she was surprised he wasn't scratching at the ear. I have baytril and asked for metacam just in case. Thanks for suggesting the vet! It wasn't where my mind went to bc he seemed more like a hormonal teen

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:04 pm

SO glad you had it checked out! Makes perfect sense that he may have been fighting because he felt lousy. I agree with the vet when she says that she was surprised he wasn't scratching at the ear. The head shaking and tilted head were good candidates for infection or parasites (or both). Super to have a solid diagnosis!

Is the Baytril oral or an ear drop? Glad he got some pain meds.

Leb
Supporter in '08

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:16 pm

Hi Lynx, it is an oral med, and she said she could only give me 5 days' worth but that should be enough agree? She gave me 3 syringes of metacam, I only gave it last night, should I give it again?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:12 pm

I have to say, she didn't provide much in the way of meds.

Sometimes Baytril is administered as ear drops, too.

Since you are giving Baytril orally, read this over:
https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotic_advice.html

Watch for signs of pain and ask for more if needed:
https://www.guinealynx.info/pain.html

I would have been happier if she'd given you metacam in a bottle and you could adjust the dose as needed. I don't have any specific recommendations but know ear infections can be painful. Signs of pain on the page link above.

Hopefully someone else will jump in with experience and advice!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:06 am

Mine just got over a bacterial infection in both ears. I noticed head tilt only one day, and not much in the way of scratching. She got a prescription for ear cleaning solution mixed with Baytril, 4-6 drops in the ears twice a day. It was all cleared up 10 days later at her recheck.

Leb
Supporter in '08

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:28 am

I wish I had metacam in a bottle too. I have an exotic local vet but haven't used her in about 10 years, these two piggies we've had for the past 2 years are my 9yo daughter's. I haven't had pigs prior to her being born. So I can call the Vet and ask her to buy more meds. The emergency vet was pretty far out East but as I already tried one closer than Manhattan. He doesn't seem to be in pain however the poor guy hid this for me for a while I suspect. I am giving a probiotic 2 hours after the AB, hopefully, that helps, I may start him on critical care tomorrow just to supplement his food a bit.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:09 am

One would hope the vet could refill a prescription but some vets may require a return visit.

Hoping the oral antibiotic works. If your vet saw blood and pus, the oral med may really help (perhaps a more extensive infection).

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:08 pm

Sick people are inherently grumpy. I can't imagine it's different for animals. Glad you got this identified and treatment underway.

Leb
Supporter in '08

Post   » Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:01 pm

My two pigs I think hate each other now. They are separated by grids but are non-stop fighting, teeth chattering, biting the bars, and chaos where I hear their fighting, and when I go to see them there is their bedding and hay all over the floor. I just wove long strips of cardboard through the grids so they don't have to see each other so closely. Any other advice?

I thought after Ravioli finished his antibiotics they could live together but that cannot happen, they are about 2 years old.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:15 pm

Two years old is a tough time! They may be at their crabbiest.

If the cardboard strips don't work, you might try a piece of plexiglass between the two cages.

Think about making each of the two cages a bit more interesting. A fleece forest (or at least some place they can be without seeing their nemesis) may help. Visually breaking up the cage might mean they can forget about the other for a bit!

Leb
Supporter in '08

Post   » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:14 am

When I went to say good morning to the pigs and open their blinds, Ravi didn't come out of his box. I got them breakfast, and he took one bite of a baby carrot, and that was it. He is slightly puffed. This is highly unusual; he took a baby tomato late last night and was fine. He is approx. 3-year-old male. I gave him a bit of critical care and metacam (I forgot what it is called gp tylenol?) in case he was in pain. He purred a bit with me but seemed tired. He is wrapped in a towel in his cage, moving around in it, sticking out his nose, and prob happy he has a towel. At what point do you run to the vet?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:21 am

I imagine you examined him thoroughly? Checked for impaction, anything out of the ordinary?

All I can say is that the behavior you describe can fall into the category of a reason to see a vet. Check his mouth and breathing too.
https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html