Gidget Medical Thread

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:11 pm

Gidget seems to have head tilt. I noticed it this morning when she first woke up, and then it disappeared. This afternoon when she woke from a nap, her head was tilted to the right. She follows a corn husk around the cage without any balance issues. And when she hears food she trots to the front of the cage and stands up.

She’s eating and drinking, but I’m not sure if she’s done any zoomies today. Yesterday was a big day for zoomies. Of course we’re coming into the weekend and the vet is only open Saturday morning.

Anyone have an opinion, should I get her in tomorrow if possible?

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:18 pm

Called the vet and we have a Monday morning appointment. Poor little babe.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:31 pm

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear this. Sounds like something inner ear going on. :(

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:08 pm

Well, I’m watching her and she seems fidgety like she’s trying to get comfortable when she lays down. She lays on her right side which is the side of her head tilt.

I’ve also seen her scratch her ear and her belly. I thought of mites but her skin and fur look nice and healthy. She had only one ivermectin treatment and that was done by Animal Control when she was seized in August. She hasn’t been around any other piggies. I would think mites would have been apparent before this, but maybe not.

If I have to get Ivermectin for her, people will think I’m an anti-Vax loony. And if I explain it’s for my guinea pig that will seal the deal.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:29 pm

I think it's far more likely to be an ear infection than it is to be mites.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:57 pm

I agree it’s more likely her ear.

I just cleaned the ear flap inside. Both ears are black so there’s a little black wax but no buildup. Then I brushed the fur against the grain to check the skin on her back and she was really irritated with me. When I put her back in her cage she jumped around and shook her head.

Now she’s eating hay and she does a little jump and shakes her head, then pulls at her belly fur. Without the tilt I’d say it was a popcorn. Of course, I’m noticing every little thing now. It’s going to be a long weekend.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:46 pm

You're such a good guinea pig mom. I hope she shakes the ear issue! Seeing a vet is a good idea if there's a possibility of infection.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:09 am

We had a little lap time. I snuggled her in a blanket with a warm compress on her ear and she took a nap. She didn’t seem to mind when I massaged around her ears and jaw so I’m not sure about pain. I still have some Metacam on hand so if she seems uncomfortable that’s an option.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:24 am

Well, I don’t know what to think. Today Gidget has been fine. No head tilt, she ran a few zoomies, eating and foraging in her snuffle mat, hopping up on her wire shelf hideys. I still plan to take her in on Monday so she can get a checkup,

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:08 pm

At least things are looking up! The vet can closely examine her ears and see if something is going on.

p.s. I love your talking about a "snuffle mat". It sounds so cuddly.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:20 pm

She’s doing well today, too. So glad! She didn’t really know what to do with her snuffle mat at first, but now she knows to dig and forage for treats. Just something to keep her busy and give her some brainwork.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:15 am

The nose knows :-)