Gidget Medical Thread

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:21 pm

I sure hope that's not the case (chronic infection)! My thought is maybe they are trying the Orbax to see if it *will* clear up, which is a possibility. There is something in the dark recesses of my brain that just got me thinking about Chlor and how it penetrates the blood-brain barrier and is Talishan's preferred drug for stubborn inner ear infections. See some references below:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... n#p2245277
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... l#p2286094
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... n#p2201547

It is one of the "big guns" and hard on the gut, from what I've read, but maybe worth a try if a round of Orbax doesn't seem to help?

I'm so sorry that you and Gidget are dealing with this. :(

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:04 pm

Thanks for the information and the links. This vet clinic is the only one that really knows about exotics, but they are also very expensive and push every test available. So I tend to question what’s really necessary and what is just curiosity or an up-sell on their part.

For example, our dog’s annual exam would have been over $800 because they wanted to do complete blood work, urinalysis, and a host of other tests. He just had all this done in the fall when he had pancreatitis. So we got the checkup and 3 vaccinations for $275.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:28 pm

The chloramphenicol does sound like a good possibility if you don't see improvement with the Orbax. I don't understand either how they can basically say give drugs that may or may not work and the condition may not improve. I sure hope to hear she is doing better!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:07 am

The vet tech called this afternoon. I told her my concerns about Gidget spending so much time in her hidey, not moving around much, and not eating well. She was always active before this, running and jumping up on her hideys. I also mentioned how she seems unbalanced or dizzy, and loses her balance when she turns too fast. So she talked with the vet and called back to tell me they were calling in a prescription for meclizine, which is for motion sickness and vertigo. So I’ll pick that up at the pharmacy tomorrow. Apparently it’s the same as Bonine which I’ve used myself.

She also had the blood work results and Gidget has high normal white blood count. This could mean a low-grade infection or maybe none at all. The leukocytes value indicates she has inflammation. So the Orbax and meloxicam should help. I just don’t know when I should see a change.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:00 am

She is such a character. We are all hoping this resolves!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:09 am

I really do hope she starts to see some marked improvement over the next few days. Giving her something for vertigo seems like a good idea, although I can't say I have seen it mentioned here before. It will be interesting to see if it helps her feel less dizzy so that she is more inclined to move about and eat.

Fingers crossed!

ETA: A search here on meclizine did produce a number of results, and apparently has been used by others for vertigo. I do hope it helps.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:19 pm

I hope she returns more to her lively self soon.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:04 pm

Cautiously optimistic today. Floor time last night and Gidget was running around mumbling to herself. She ate hay and fresh grass so I passed on the CC.

Decent poops overnight and this morning. She’s looking for food, wheeking when she sees hubs (aka the local food vendor). Got her meds and lettuce. Now she’s laying down eating hay.

It was an adventure getting the meclizine. Went to the pharmacy first thing and they were closed due to lack of staff. No indication on the web site or their phone message. So I called the clinic, asked for a paper copy of the Rx, drove out there to pick it up, and came back to our local Walgreens. Walgreens pharmacy is closed weekends.

Went to the local grocery store and their pharmacy was open. They looked at the Rx and said it was available OTC in generic form at twice the strength. So they helped me find one with larger tablets that are easy to split 4 ways. And we checked ingredients for artificial sweeteners since some are flavored and chewable. So I got it mixed with a little watery CC and down the hatch it went.

I’ve used this in the past for motion sickness when we were on a cruise ages ago. It worked well so I hope it helps her.

Now it’s time I had breakfast and coffee.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:55 pm

Oh my goodness, what a hassle having to run all over the place to find a pharmacy today. I'm glad you were able to finally get it, though, and good to hear that she seems interested in food and producing those all-important poops.

Yes, do have yourself a breakfast and coffee break now---you more than earned it!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:13 pm

Glad you were able to find it OTC. Sounds like a real challenge with pharmacies being closed!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:39 pm

Gidget is having better days. Yesterday she had good input and output, and today is the same. She’s eating more of her favorite veggies and fresh grass again. I’m sure the AB has an effect on her taste buds, that usually happens with people where things taste a bit off.

Today we’re having a taste test to see if Garden Select or Organic pellets are the favorite. Two identical cups side by side. The Pepsi Challenge was nothing compared to this.

It’s just a relief that she feels better and has more interest in her surroundings. Broke my heart when she just wanted to hide, since she’s so active and interested in everything going on.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:13 pm

Oh, that is such good news! Keep up the good work, both of you! :)

I'll be interested to hear who the "winner" is between the two pellets.