Gidget Medical Thread

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:54 pm

I mentioned when I made the appointment that I was concerned about an ear infection. She had 3 ear infections last year. I have all my records for past treatments and pathology to take along.

Yesterday evening and today she was doing well. Today she was up on her little shelf, watching the kitchen looking for snacks. We had breakfast, she had lettuce and lap time, and took a nap. When she woke up she was kind of loopy and staggered around the cage. I gave her metacam and Meclizine. She’s been just sitting in the back corner. I suspect it’s her ears because she slept on her side and woke up kind of dazed.

I checked online to find out about the other vet I was seeing. Another clinic out of the area has a welcome posted for her, so she moved away. With the shortage of vets I’m sure they’re in high demand and have lots of options.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:35 pm

I am glad you can bring along all your records. They should be invaluable in helping to get a clear diagnosis. I wonder if a new approach might knock an ear infection out.

RubySimon

Post   » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:39 am

Oh good luck. Sending positive healing thoughts.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:43 pm

We’re back from the vet. He checked her over, didn’t see any debris or inflammation in either ear. She’s been doing well, moving around, eating. So he favored waiting a few more days to see if this was just a bump in the road that would resolve on its own. He’s cautious about using antibiotics right away because of the limited number of antibiotics safe for guinea pigs and the possibility of building up resistance.

He put a note in her file if I call back with more serious symptoms they will fill a prescription for Orbax.

He also said the topical Baytril that we had before is pretty ineffective because it doesn’t reach far enough in the ear canal. That makes me think the whole head-tilt issue may have been prevented if she would have gotten Orbax right away to prevent a more serious inner-ear infection.

In general, he did a good job on the exam and seems knowledgeable about piggies. And he had a piggie when he was in vet school.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:41 pm

Very encouraging feedback on the "new" vet! But more encouraging that at least at the moment, she seems to be doing well.

He sounds like a vet you will be able to work with.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:45 pm

That’s true, he does seem like a vet who is willing to work with his clients and troubleshoot. Very open and conversational.

Tonight she was on my lap, had some lettuce, snuggled in for a nap and then when she woke up she was kind of wonky like she wasn’t coordinated. I gave her some Metacam and Meclizine so we’ll see how she is later on.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:27 pm

I’ll be calling the vet again in the morning. Gidget hasn’t eaten much since early afternoon, and hardly any poops. I gave her both metacam and Meclizine early when I noticed she was shaking her head more. Tonight after she woke up from a nap she was staggering. It seems to be worse when she first wakes up. I mixed up a tablespoon of CC and she ate a little more than half of that. She’s ate veggies and a little hay. This seems different than the ear issues she had before, but I guess head tilt is neurological so maybe it’s all related.

It’s been a long week already. I’ve been dealing with a sore, swollen foot that I think may be gout. I’ve never had it but my husband has many times. So I’m hobbling around, taking Alene, and trying not to slip and fall on all the ice outside.

And our dog, Charlie, is having back trouble again. I gave him the last of his metacam, then called the vet clinic for a refill. They never got back to me. Called again late afternoon, waited on hold for 10 minutes, finally a tech got on the phone and said she’d ask the vet. At 6:15 a vet finally called, someone I don’t know at all. We had a discussion, she finally agreed to fill the Rx with the condition that we get a complete blood panel in the next week to check his kidneys. We just did a blood panel in December. I’m so frustrated, I just need some pain relief for my little old dog. You’d think I was asking for opioids or something.

Lisa12

Post   » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:22 am

Irie, Ziggy and I are keeping fingers crossed for Gidget to get better soon!!

As for Charlie.We ve been there done that with Ringo(last year he had severe back pain issues, he was carried so he didnt walk up and down stairs-just straight lines(i wont even go into what was the state of my back at the time).
Forblood panel-say you forgot and than on next visit you say something else..or that you have job problems or whatever. Or just say you wont be putting him in stress every few months, cause you want high quality of life.
I know our dog vets well so they were giving him Rheumocam prescription without repeated blood panel(he was on kidney diet anyway),but he was 15+anyway when he had those issues.
Cause even if old dog had kidney damage(watch out for the signs) what are they plan to do put him down-i wanted for us every issue to be try to solved and it was...as long as he is having more good than bad days, its worth it..always. If Metacam doesnt work they give Gabapentin, too(both).
Good luck and hugs to Charlie, too!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:01 am

I'm sorry to hear little Gidget is not doing well. I hate when they don't eat much. Sounds like antibiotics are likely to be prescribed. I sure hope they are effective.

And sorry about Charlie! I am with you on how they should not be making this so difficult. Lisa12's "forgot" advice has some merit.

And I'm sorry about the gout! I ended up with a folding gout stool that came from my parent's home. Posted some pics of it 19 years ago but the pics have disappeared and I don't know what became of it :-( It looked like this:

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:19 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I’m waiting for the clinic to let me know that Gidget’s prescription is ready. I called right away this morning but it seems like it takes ages to get meds. She’s stumbling around, picking at her hay. She had both metacam and Meclizine this morning, and she ate a little CC and lettuce. I’m just anxious to get the meds started.

Charlie just had a warm pack on his back for about 20 minutes. He had a gabapentin last night and it makes him loopy, but it does seem to help ease the pain. He’s on restricted duty, no stairs, no running, and only walks in the backyard. I agree, Lisa12, quality of life and reduced stress are important. He has heart issues so I don’t like to stress him.

That gout stool is something. I can’t imagine how painful it was back then without pain meds or preventives. My husband takes allopurinol so he rarely has gout anymore. Mine is much better today, now I just have to get the pets on the mend.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:18 pm

I had a bout of pseudo- gout once. All the symptoms of gout, but no treatment for it. It was NOT fun.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:26 pm

Just got back from both clinics.

New clinic for Gidget didn’t have the Rx ready, no notes about my call at 8 am. But they contacted the vet, got the dosage, filled the Rx, and Gidget got her first dose of Orbax.

Next I went to our current clinic for Charlie. Not a soul there - parking lot is empty. The receptionist made a comment about our 2 sick pets. I told her Gidget has an ear infection but I was able to have her seen. She asked where and when I told her she said the vet I saw is not an exotics vet.

Well, his website bio states he treats exotics, and we even talked with him about the extra training it takes to learn about so many different species. This receptionist insisted if he was certified for exotics they would have referred me. I was kind of miffed, and told her Gidget is stumbling around, shaking her head, and she had 3 prior ear infections. She needed to be seen and needs medication. He recommended Orbax, which is what their vet prescribed last time. Good grief, they can’t see Gidget until April 3, but she wants to doubt another vet?

Then she told me they have a new vet coming on board in June when she graduates with an exotics certificate. Well, the guy I saw has been practicing for 18 years and he’s available now. As far as I’m concerned a vet in the clinic is worth 2 still in school.

Sorry, just had to vent to people who understand and empathize. I hope Gidget and Charlie start feeling better.