Gidget Medical Thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:25 pm

She is completely missing the urgency of this. Not to mention, IMO, you are an experience pet owner and participate in her care. It is through pet owners, issues are noticed, addressed, medication given. You can evaluate how well a treatment works.

I suppose the receptionist would have been happy to book you on the 4th of July for care your pet needed now.

By the way, not very familiar with gout, I tracked down this info which was very helpful.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20372897

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:20 am

Thank you, Lynx. I think she realized they should have helped me get an appointment somewhere else and she was making excuses for not giving me a referral. I think it’s unprofessional and inappropriate for the staff to imply that another vet or clinic is misrepresenting itself. What I value most is availability and results, not certificates hanging on the wall. Ear infections are serious and need to be treated as soon as possible. I may let the vet know about this, I’m still miffed.

I checked the Mayo link for gout and they have good info. My foot is much better today. I bought a supplement that is supposed to reduce acid levels to prevent future problems. I think I may have triggered it by drinking whey protein mix. I don’t eat meat and I’ve been reading about people over 50 needing more protein to maintain muscle. One suggestion was whey protein mix. But the kidneys have to process the protein, so that could increase uric acid. Who knows.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:01 pm

I understand the miffed. Totally.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:25 pm

Poor little Gidget is not doing well. She was better yesterday afternoon, but by evening she was worse. She’s so off-balance she must be sick to her stomach. I also notice she cleans her nose a lot and I heard a few coughs or sneezes, so I think we now have a URI. Today is day 4 of Orbax, but that might not be the most effective if it’s a URI.

I’m syringing CC, at least 2 tablespoons dry. She nibbles on hay, and actually ate quite a few pellets today. I’m giving young pellets since she likes those best, and the vet thought they’d be okay short-term. They’re more nutritious. Anything to get her eating.

I’m syringing extra vitamin C mixed with warm water, and she has meds for pain and nausea. I tried hay and veggie smoothie and she ate some of that. I just hate to see her so sick.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:31 pm

Poor little girl! That she is eating a bunch of pellets and a few other things is very encouraging but the dizziness has to be hard on her and difficult for you to watch.

I can't comment on whether or not the Orbax is the best choice - I imagine you will reevaluate in the morning and give your vet a call tomorrow if she is still so off-balance.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:39 pm

Yes, I’ll call the vet in the morning. I have seen Orbax listed for respiratory issues on some of the sites I researched. She tolerated it well last summer for her ear infection so I was hopeful it would kick in and start helping by now.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:27 pm

Talked to the vet this morning and mentioned the sneezing and rubbing her nose. He said sulfatrim would be a better option for URI, so I just picked up that Rx. She got Orbax this morning, and it’s a 24-hour AB, so I can’t give the sulfatrim this right away. He also recommended a steam treatment for sinus congestion, so I made a steam tent in the laundry sink and held her over a bowl of hot water.

She’s lethargic and I’m exhausted.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:35 pm

I sure hope the sulfatrim helps. I am so sorry to hear she is lethargic. Hugs to you.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:33 pm

Thank you - I needed hugs!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:51 pm

I could use opinions from you experienced piggy owners. Gidget has a serious URI, crackling lungs, breathing is difficult. She took a little CC this morning, and mouthed a few pellets. Now she wants nothing to do with food, she’s not trying to swallow the little drops of CC I get in her mouth. She’s puffed up and not moving.

So far she has had 2 doses of sulfatrim, the new antibiotic. I’m also doing steam tent treatments to relieve congestion. I don’t know if or when the sulfatrim should start working, and I don’t know if the clinic can do anything more. Today is the new vet’s day off.

I hate to see her suffering, and things don’t look good, so I made an appointment for euthanasia late today. Now I’m having second thoughts.

Anyone want to share an opinion of what you would do in my place?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:22 pm

I am so sorry you are in this place. I would have suggested writing Talishan, Pinta, or bpatters for their suggestions.

I understand how hard it is when it looks to you like she is suffering. I know how much you care about each of your guinea pigs.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:16 pm

Well, I cancelled the appointment today.

I really didn’t think she would make it through last night. When I went to bed at 2:00 am, she had been refusing to swallow CC, she was breathing heavy and laying on her side. This morning she was sitting up, but still her breathing is scary. Finally this afternoon she took some CC, then started reaching for the syringe, which is heartening. I’m mixing the CC watery so it’s easier to swallow and keeps her hydrated. No poops today, but there were some overnight.

She had two feedings, she’ll get at least 2 more before I go to bed. And she had 3 saunas to try and loosen up her sinuses and lungs.

There is a front desk person at this new clinic who is so kind and caring. She is really hoping we can get through this, and said she will fit us in for an appointment tomorrow. She was actually at a clinic we went to about 40 years ago. So hopefully we can see the vet and find out if there’s anything else we can do.