Gidget Medical Thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:32 pm

So happy you are seeing some light. I hope this is a good sign.

I do not recall where I read this - maybe here? Maybe for another species? But I believe someone also incorporated gentle drumming of fingers on chest to try to loosen up flem while holding your pet. You can judge if this makes any sense and if you think it might help (edit - I think it had to do with helping gas pass? but I know with humans, more forceful drumming of the chest is done to loosen flem).

It really helps to have support and sympathy from veterinary staff. I think the treatment of pet owners, who love their pets, is as important as the care of our pets.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:26 pm

Yes, I did back-drumming, rib-patting and full body massage last night. While I was holding her she had a couple of coughs and convulsions, then she went limp. I was sure she was dying, but she was breathing. I thought of cystic fibrosis and how they pat the back to clear the lungs. I didn’t know if her head should be up or down and I was searching for CPR online while this was all happening. What a night.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:44 pm

Sorry, I just now saw this.

I don't know if there's any way to check a guinea pig for a fungal infection in the lungs, but if the antibiotic isn't clearing things up, that might be the problem.

Do let us know what the vet says in the morning.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:10 am

The Orbax was for an inner ear infection. We started that on Thursday and her head-shaking and balance were better by Saturday. Then Sunday, she developed noisy breathing and congestion. On Monday I talked to the vet and he recommended Sulfatrim for URI. So I quit the Orbax and gave Sulfatrim Monday evening.

Tonight she looks a little better. At least she’s sitting up and munching on a few things. But she’s still puffed up and not moving much.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:35 am

I hope the Orbax was able to knock out the inner ear infection. If not, I would ask about the possibility of giving both antibiotics.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:55 am

Oh dear! Poor Gidget. Poor ItsaZoo. I've no advice but I'll be thinking about you.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:25 pm

We had some CC this morning and meds. The vet didn’t want to give both Orbax and Sulfatrim because it would mess with her GI tract. Last time she was taking Orbax for at least a month. So maybe when the Sulfatrim is done he’ll want to pick up the Orbax.

Her breathing seems better, not as congested and crackly. But she’s still pretty much sitting in one spot unless I pester her.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:00 pm

Oh shoot, I'm so sorry ItsaZoo. Sending healing vibes to Gidget from me and the boys.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:02 pm

We’re on the mend! We had a recheck at the vet yesterday afternoon and he said her lungs sounded good. She started eating hay and more pellets yesterday. When I told him how sick she was on Monday and Tuesday he was really surprised she recovered.

So we’re staying on sulfatrim for a minimum of 2 weeks, no more than 3. Apparently it causes vitamin B deficiencies if used long-term, whereas Orbax can be used longer.

Mixing in some young pig pellets is okay since they’re Oxbow and she’s female. He didn’t seem too concerned about the extra calcium.

She’s still in good shape as far as body condition, but she lost about 100 grams or 1/4 pound since March 17. She weighed 732 grams this morning.

Today she’s eating hay, pellets, a few corn husks, and she had a sliver of a baby carrot.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:51 pm

Very encouraging! I hope she ends up completely "mended"!

The comment regarding sulfatrim causing vitamin B deficiencies if used long term is interesting. I do not recall that warning previously. I wonder if this is observed in a different species and he figured it might also apply to guinea pigs. Any antibiotic will affect the gut and the special cecal feces supply B vitiamins.

I wonder if extra B vitamins might be worth giving her (this would likely fall in the category of may not help but shouldn't hurt) as a precaution. My measly search skills did not turn up anything helpful.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:25 am

https://www.britannica.com/science/sulfa-drug

This might be what the vet was talking about. The Britannica article states that sulfa drugs don't kill bacteria, they inhibit bacterial growth by interfering with the synthesis of folic acid, or folate which is vitamin B9. I can't find much about folic acid and guinea pigs. There is a document posted by a vet clinic in Cincinnati that mentions folic acid as a necessary nutrient and they recommend Oxbow pellets.

When I check the ingredients in Oxbow pellets, folic acid is listed, but there is no amount listed in the nutrition info. Dark green leafy veggies have folate.

All I know is Gidget has been eating all day so she must be feeling better.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:31 am

That article is very interesting! Thanks for adding the link and pertinent info.