Male Rescue Guinea Pig Chronic URI and Not Eating Hay (Stumped)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:05 pm

I believe I sent some dental x-rays to Dr. Legendre's practice a year or so ago for an opinion, and although I don't think he was the one who actually reviewed the case, someone else quite knowledgeable from that practice got back to me on it. It might be worth a shot, particularly if these are very clear, high-quality images.

Otherwise, might be worth trying to find an exotics vet who deals specifically with rodent dentistry for a second opinion.

Odd, though, that he can eat the Oxbow treats (unless you are soaking them first?). Those things are hard as rocks.

Rynn21

Post   » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:51 pm

I’m currently doing the probiotic trick with fecal since I have many other healthy piggies. It’s not pleasant to see, but he was munching on it.

I haven’t had a chance to get the wheat grass, but going to look into it tonight.

I catch him eating a strand of hay here and there, but no noticeable dents made in it like with other guinea pigs.

I will browse later too over the x-rays.

Exactly! I’m not soaking the treats in anything. He’s even eaten the really hard versions that are heart shaped.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:19 pm

That is a mystery then.

Have you tried different hays? Is your hay at all musty? Hay can easily get moldy and if I were a guinea pig, I wouldn't eat it.

Rynn21

Post   » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:44 am

Yep, several types. I have 13 others and none have issues with it. It's as fresh as can be. No updates yet. Waiting on the medication to be used up to go from there.

Have you used chloramphenicol before? I'm paranoid while handling it (with gloves). It was given with a bottle in another container. I'm not sure if some residue of it got on me or not from the glove to my skin. I assume it's not that toxic. I quickly washed it off.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:37 am

I think the "danger" comes most to pregnant humans. There are kind of standard warnings about its handling but it can really make a difference and be the right drug in some cases. I would not worry too much.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:24 pm

Agree, and some people are more sensitive to it than others, apparently.

Rynn21

Post   » Sun May 01, 2022 1:12 am

Well, my skin isn't melting off (I know that's not how it works), so I think I'm fine. I will update if there's any news about the piggie in the future. Thanks for trying to solve this mystery.

Rynn21

Post   » Mon May 09, 2022 5:47 am

He hasn't improved in two weeks. I wonder if I should even bother getting a refill for the remainder of the month's time of this antibiotic (seems like a scam to not have it filled to the top to begin with and requires 4 weeks at least). My husband has been starting to question if maybe trying antibiotics over the last year is why he doesn't want hay. Maybe if I stop giving him this he will get better and just live with a chronic UTI. Seems like every time he goes on an antibiotic he stops eating hay. I can't remember if he stopped the first time before or after starting on one last year.
He's going after my shirt and towel right now and not wanting to stop. Maybe an instinct to chew cause of the lack of hay? It's unusual behavior up till the last few months to want to destroy things.

Also, I'm having a hard time with syringes. I've been using ones I had saved from vets over the years, but they ALWAYS come detached from the rubber, so when I'm pulling the critical care up into the syringe it detaches. It lasts one spoonful's worth before breaking. It's mixed on the more watery side. Is there a syringe that doesn't stink?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 09, 2022 9:30 am

Yes, some of those syringes really are a problem. A human medication was given with this product and I have been using it ever since for dosing ivermectin. Nothing to swell and get stuck! No rubber gasket! I tried to find a source via google but was unsuccessful so don't know how you can get them. From:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... n#p2315343

Have you seen any improvement for the UTI with Bactrim? (trimethoprim sulfamethoxazole) It usually does not affect appetite. Or do you mean URI? (not rereading the whole topic)

Any success with Baytril if a URI? Some vets will "pulse" it -- i.e. a high dose once a week to keep the bacteria knocked out. Has a culture identified the bacteria?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon May 09, 2022 9:41 am

I wish I knew where to get those. I did have quite a bit of luck with the Baxa 1ml oral syringes, although I haven't bought any in a while. They are made from a tougher plastic, so they are harder for the guinea pig patient to chew (but also a little harder to cut the tip off of), and the O rings seem much more durable and less prone to sticking.

ETA: Oh, look what I found:
https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item. ... W4QAvD_BwE

Rynn21

Post   » Mon May 09, 2022 4:59 pm

I wish I could edit posts. Wrote it way too late at night. URI* I will try those syringes. Any variant on Amazon?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 09, 2022 9:59 pm

That is perfect, Sef! I have been so impressed with the one gasketless syringe I have. I think it will be used years from now.

Here is another seller of this brand. It appears it is a box of 50 for $35 or so. Seems like they come in different colors (maybe a mix in the box?). Do not know what shipping is. Anyway, I'll add this here:
https://serfinitymedical.com/products/c ... 34w-652583