Four year old losing weight (big thread inside)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:00 am

I tried to get a refill of the milk thistle... Is this a prescription product? Looks like it is sold as a supplement that you could buy. Also looks like there can be mixed results as to how effective it might be - and there are some cautions in humans.
https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/milk-thistle

Squiggles

Post   » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:36 pm

They wrote back. Of course they want to see him for a recheck soon, but they said tbey will refill it if needed. He was put on it twice a day at 0.03 back in August-September. I would have still had it, but of course one day when I was giving it to him, he decided to headbutt the bottle, and down it went all over.

From his medical record back in August: -

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:32 pm

RX
Metacam 1.5mg/ml - Give 0.2ml (0.5mg/kg) by mouth once daily as needed for pain and inflammation. This is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication.
Continue as previously prescribed
Emeraid Herbivore - mix with water until a smoothie consistency. Feed up to 20ml 2 to 3 times per day if not eating well. Feed slowly to avoid aspiration. Can also be offered in a bowl.
Milk thistle 333mg/ml - Give 0.03ml (15mg/kg) by mouth every 12 hours. This is a liver support supplement.
I transcribed your image so it's a little easier to read and will be searchable. Glancing over the ingredient list, it seems to me Critical Care by Oxbow has better ingredients (but I haven't tracked down the CC for comparison).

Squiggles

Post   » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:59 am

No problem. Whatever makes it easier. He was on CC originally to where I syringe fed him, but he hated it to a point he nudged the syringe away. Then the exotic vet gave him the Emeraid and he loves it so much it eats it by himself.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:39 pm

Sounds like it is a good option for him, then.

Squiggles

Post   » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:07 am

Just an update, and it's not a good one. He dropped down to 674, so I took him to The Schwarzman Animal Medical Center in NYC. By then, he had dropped more. He's still eating insanely. She redid his blood because she said if some of his levels were as high as they were, his heart would have stopped. Thankfully they were much normal when they did it, though his liver was still elevated. She sent out a T4 to an exotic vet in Miami (still waiting for results), since the other two blood works (even the exotic vet I originally had gone to) were done for cats and dogs.

His dose of the medication was increased because she said even if it was only five months, he did respond to it, so she was looking at that as a good sign. She said it's rare in guinea pigs (though I keep seeing a lot of them recently coming up with it?) and sadly if he is diagnosed with hyperthyroid, the research is that they never make it past 28 months, and I told her that I've been preparing for this ever since he got sick.

He has a CT scan next week because she wants to know if it's indeed the thyroid being hyper, or if the muscle itself is dying. After that, we're not going to pester him anymore. He's been through a lot, but I wanted to make sure in the end, I did everything I could. Also, I posted this because I know we all learn off of each other.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:53 am

Thanks for the update. I am sorry to hear he has lost more weight. It sounds like your scheduled CT scan should answer some questions about the thyroid.

Hoping the increase in thyroid meds makes a positive difference.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:28 pm

That's a good resource, Lynx.

Squiggles - I hope you get some helpful information next week from the CT scan.

Squiggles

Post   » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:15 am

No CT appointment yet, but good news. Don't want to jinx it, but he's going back up again.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:20 am

Crossing fingers here!

Squiggles

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:24 am

She doesn't want to push for a CT because he's gaining (he was 623 when I took him, he's now 707), and said our main goal is to keep him from losing, but she does want to retest next month. He is, however, a hundred percent hyperthyroid. Finally a vet that was able to get the right test.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:28 pm

Wow, that’s pretty obvious. I re-read your posts and you have really been through a lot trying to get a diagnosis and meds. I sure hope you’re on the right track now to treat and manage the thyroid issue.