No improvement after dental procedure.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:21 pm

Can you describe what you mean by fruit paste and veggies paste? Since fruits are generally pretty sugary, I would focus more on the vegs and critical care.

Watch to see how he does on the current dose to see if a different dose might help.
https://www.guinealynx.info/pain.html

By the way, in order to evaluate the amount of meloxicam, you would need to provide more data. Explained here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:25 pm

Yes, we would need his current weight and also the strength of the Metacam you were given (usually either 1.5mg/ml or 0.5mg/ml). Thanks.

arb_hz

Post   » Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:59 pm

The Meloxicam we have is 1.5mg/ml. His current weight has stabilized around 765 gms ( which is down from ~ 950 gms before his dental trouble).

Regarding fruit paste, we are feeding critical care and veggies paste as much as we can but he seems to like fruit smoothie more. If he is being really fussy we are giving fruit smoothie as last resort.

Another question I want to ask, we are feeding him in intervals of 2 hours which I worry might be too tiring for him. Is it ok to let him sleep for a stretch of 4-5 hours in night without food?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:51 pm

I think spacing 4 or 5 hours at night might help you both (you need sleep too).

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:23 pm

I think the longer stretch is fine.

arb_hz

Post   » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:08 pm

Thanks again everyone. We are changing the schedule to give him some rest at night. Hope it helps in his recovery. We have follow-up appointment with the vet on Thursday, hoping to see some progress.

arb_hz

Post   » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:15 am

Update on our piggie. So he had another procedure done about 3 weeks ago but he is still not eating. Doctor said everything looks fine but somehow he is still not able to eat. We are feeding him through syringe and he he is doing fine otherwise. Doctor said next option is to do a mri ( or was it ct.. I don't remember) and then he will consult with his colleague in US who specializes in dental cases of exotic pets. We are waiting for updates from our vet on when and how we can do the mri.
Hoping to get some answers from the mri.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:14 am

When you say he is unable to eat, have you offered (for example) a strand of grass to see if he can take it in and chew on it? Is he showing any signs of pain?

www.guinealynx.info/pain.html

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:46 am

That would be my question, too. Does he pick up food and drop it? Or does he not even try? Is it the same with all food, including hay, or just certain foods? What happens if you handfeed small bits of veggie to him?

arb_hz

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:17 am

He tries to eat grass but is unable to take anything in properly. Also we tried giving small fruit pieces ( directly in his mouth) but he is unable to swallow. He still seems to have problem grasping and swallowing.
He shows signs of pain but not always. The pain is usually in his abdomen. Vet prescribed a new pain medicine and has asked to increase dose slowly.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:16 am

What is the new pain medication?

arb_hz

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:46 am

Medicine is gabapentin. As per him it is sort of experimental and thus has asked to increase dosage slowly. I am happy the vet hasn't given up and helping us with free follow-ups and constant updates.