New foster coming!!

RubySimon

Post   » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:24 pm

I have found in the past that occasionally when they are not eating well, giving just a small syringe of CC kind of gets them "over the hump" and started eating again. And again, in this case it worked. I don't think he was eating the poop. I think he just did not eat much due to all the upheaval in his life. So he didn't poop. Also, I had him in the night cage, and he seemed to hate it. Didn't move out of his house all night. I know because I put something in front of the door that he would have moved if he had come out. Put him in the floor pen after the CC and he started eating and pooping. So I made a nice permanent floor pen and took the cage out. He is eating, pooping, running around, chewing. YAY!!!!! Whew. Relieved.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:48 pm

Much better! By the way, are you weighing him regularly? At the moment, I would even weigh daily - pick a time of day, maybe the morning and weigh him then. Weight will be the best indicator of whether or not he is doing okay.

www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:33 pm

Great news and a huge relief, I'm sure!

My one and only guinea pig "foster" was Winston. He remained a foster with us for a grand total of 2 days, after which he became a permanent resident. Just saying. ;)

RubySimon

Post   » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:28 am

Lynx- I will start weighing him soon. I was giving him a little bit of time to settle in and just getting him used to handling before I start things like weighing and nail clipping. He is doing so much better. Yesterday I sat in his pen and he checked me out. That was big!

Sef- Very relieved. My first foster, Denali, was a foster failure. But I PROMISED I would not keep him. He is 3 so we will see how long it takes to get adopted, maybe he is here forever anyway!!!!!!!!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:49 am

Good to hear he's adjusting.

RubySimon

Post   » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:52 am

He gets better daily. I will do my utmost best with the updates I send to the shelter to get him adopted. I did well with the other two that way and that is how I generally get my rats in forever homes. People seem to really like kind of getting to know them ahead of time. And I like to mention quirks, likes and dislikes before they end up in a place that doesn't really "get" them.

Yesterday it snowed, so I wanted something to do. We made fleece forests for all three pigs. I need more fleece to make one for my rabbit and trying to figure out how to make one for my chinchilla. But the pigs love them! As soon as we put them in there, they ran in and out of them. So stinking cute.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:14 am

Oh, pictures! Pictures of your fleece forests! You can send pictures here and I will post them:

I like your idea of posting updates. It's kind of like getting to know a person - do you want to be their friend? All depends on what they're like!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:32 pm

Here you go! I love how well your beautiful pictures illustrate the fun of the fleece forests! Thanks for sharing them with us!

RubySimon

Post   » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:51 am

Thanks Lynx. Amazing how making something so simple made them and me so happy!

The multicolor forest is my foster, Dwayne. The second two pics are Luke. The second pic of Luke makes him look like a chipmunk! LOL And the bottom one is Gabe, my baby. He was not cooperative about having his picture taken in the forest. But he was too cute not to include!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:13 am

It looks like you have a very nice cage setup! They look so clean, bright, and airy!

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:16 pm

They are all so cute! I see you used binder clips to hold the grid/fleece forest to the cage. That's a good idea. I might try it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:40 pm

Once I discovered binder clips,

MY LIFE CHANGED!

No more lost bitty pieces of paper, collecting together other useless bits of paper, clipping open bags closed (like bags of brussels sprouts ;-), SOOOO many uses!!