Question on product

RubySimon

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:27 am

Healthy Organic Guinea Pig Herbal Treats with Convenient Packaging - GuineaDad Chamomile | The Best Treat & Food for Guinea Pig & Other Small Animals | 1.5oz

I wonder if anyone has used this to calm pigs down a little before introductions, vet visits, etc.? Or just used it on piggies that are a little nervous overall? It looks like a very nice product, but I have little fussbudgets and I wonder if they would eat it. I know Luke would eat it, but not sure about the other two.

I am not sure if this is ok to ask because I am specifying a product. Hope it is.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:06 pm

You are welcome to ask for feedback on any product.

I am skeptical of herbal treat type things! I think as humans we want to expand our guinea pigs' experiences and offer Nice Things and hopefully Healthy Things.

However, there is basically no research that would ever support the MANY health claims made by this product (except the rosehips would provide some required vitamin C - though guinea pigs fed a good diet should not have a dietary deficiency).

I rather doubt it would work to calm guinea pigs down. But if you are focusing on the chamomile, a local health food store might sell loose chamomile (for tea). Perhaps you could set up your own scientific experiment?

RubySimon

Post   » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:30 am

thanks Lynx. I used to be a huge proponent of herbal remedies. Not so much any more. I am not sure I want to use my pigs as, well, guinea pigs! I was very skeptical also and that is why I asked.
I do still use Calms Forte for some of my animals, though I have never used it for pigs. :)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:45 am

I agree with Lynx. I have used herbals with our guys a few times over the years and while I can't say for sure whether they did anything from a medicinal standpoint (Leonard, our "renal pig," as on an herbal supplement that was specially formulated just for issues related to that---at the very least, I did feel that it helped boost his appetite), the guys have generally appreciated and enjoyed it when I have sprinkled herbs in their hay from time to time.

Fuzzies Kingdom has been my source for years, and I find the quality of her products and customer service to be excellent.

In terms of anxiety, I had one guinea pig on Diazepam and it did a good job of settling him down without zonking him out. He had been mistreated in his previous home and was a biter when he came to us, and would have sudden episodes (I imagine similar to PTSD) in which he would fling himself violently against the walls of his cage.

I have heard good things about the pet formula of Rescue Remedy for anxiety, but have not tried it on any of our guys. I sometimes use the "people" version myself. ;)

RubySimon

Post   » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:32 am

Interesting, Sef, about the Diazepam. This guy is no where near that level. But I am glad to know that there are meds to use in case I get a foster with severe issues.

I may research the rescue remedy angle. I have used it on myself also, the nighttime version helped particularly.