Hay

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:04 pm

Tractor Supply has 50 lb bales of Standlee Timothy grass. If you don't have one near you, I'm sure there are other farm and feed stores who have it too. They come bundled up and sealed in plastic. I've been buying it for nearly 2 years now and I have yet to get a bad bale and they have yet to run out of it. One bale will last me 3 weeks or so for 10 guinea pigs. It's pretty easy to store too. I have one of those garbage cans with the flip lid. I transfer it to the bag to bring it in for the pigs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:12 pm

Sounds like a promising product!

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:47 am

I've been going through hay a lot lately, due to foster pigs that both me and my sister are caring for. I'm terribly allergic to Timothy, so I stick with Orchard Grass. I've been happy with Small Pet Select, but the prices keep creeping. I was looking for something cheaper. Looks like I can get a better price with Oxbow from Petsmart (I figure Oxbow should have decent hay). But I also just found Standlee compressed bale of orchard grass - 50lbs for only $26? It has a couple of guinea pig reviews, which look good, but from the photos it looks like course brown stuff compared to the beautiful green I've been getting. Has anyone had recent experience with this stuff? (At that price, I might just take a chance with it regardless!)

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:48 am

That’s a great price. I think I’d give it a try and also look for a bag or two of Oxbow. I get the Oxbow orchard grass from Chewy and it looks nice, long blades of grass and fairly fresh. However, my picky girl prefers the Oxbow Timothy Stacks which are chopped and compressed. I think they stay green longer, or maybe it’s the texture, but that’s her favorite.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:00 am

Check a quality farm store?

That price (50lbs for only $26) looks too cheap. I bet you would get killed with shipping.

Hope you can find something affordable!!

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:37 pm

This is at the local Tractor Supply Co - so I can drive down and pick it up. No shipping involved. I have not had much luck with farm stores, but you know, I should call the local Farm coop and see what they may have. Thanks for the idea!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:29 pm

I think of Tractor Supply as a farm store (I've bought things for both my guinea pigs and chickens there). Some farm stores cater to horse people who are supposedly notoriously picky (think Evangeline).

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:42 pm

The Standlee product I posted above also comes in orchard grass, alfalfa and a mixture of both.

I get mine at Tractor Supply store, but I would like to think that you can get it at other feed or farm supply stores.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:46 pm

I should check to see if my local tractor supply carries this (curious).

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:40 am

I think you can order it online and pick it up at the store. They'll deliver some things to your house (I do that with the oxbow pellets). Not sure if something as large and heavy as a bale of hay qualifies for home delivery, but you can ask. They have a pretty good app too.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:32 am

If you have a Runnings store, they carry Standlee products. Orders can be delivered to the store free.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:43 am

I took the plunge. Bought the 50lb compressed bale of Standlee orchard grass. $26! Woot! They kindly tore open a corner before I bought it, and I could see it was a nice green color. I suspect it will be mostly short strands, but the pigs will have to waste 2/3s of it for it to be comparable to price of 50bs of Oxbow or SMS hay. We'll have to see how the guys like it (they still have a week or two of their existing stuff).