Nugget's Medical Mystery

LittleSnake

Post   » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:56 am

Hello! My guinea pig, Nugget the Nublet (3yo boar, silky), has been having issues lately. He's dropped a significant amount of weight, he's barely eating (but he's still interested in food), he's been gnawing on anything he can get his teeth on (especially anything cloth like). He is still drinking water, he still gets excited for food time, but when I give him food, he looks at it, and goes and hides in his dome. He later starts wheeking again, so I place him in front of his food bowl where he starts eating. He stops after a few bites, goes back into his dome and sits there. He does still eat his hay, but again, very little. If he's not hiding, he's trashing his cage, and gnawing at stuff. I've noticed a little bit of crust on the corners on his eyes. I also caught him doing these jumps. kind of like he had a violent hiccup, it lasted 20 seconds. He didn't seem distressed, he was just trying to get comfy but couldn't.

I have taken him to the vets and he is on critical care currently
I took him to the vets, and he's stumped. His teeth are fine, he's not bloating, he's not dehydrated, there's no obvious issues besides his weight. He doesn't have an ear infection either. I will take him back again for a blood test, as Nugget put up a fight when the vet tried. His urine is fine, there's no blood and he's not in pain when he pees. His poos were small teardrop shaped due to not getting his nutrition's he needed. Since I started critical care, his poos are going back to normal. When I give him C/care, I have him on a towel so he doesn't get it everywhere if he dribbles it or something. He loves it, but he'll only accept a small amount before putting up a fight again because he doesn't want it. He'll then start tugging and actually pulling on the towel. I have to rip it out before he pulls it apart and starts eating it, so now I have to block his mouth from biting it. When I put him in this cage, he'll eat a little bit of his veggies and some hay.

It is very odd and concerning. There is something wrong, the vet and I can see that. It's trying to figure out what exactly the problem is, that we're having trouble with. I know it's not guinea pig depression, he's a happy boy. I do believe he's in some kind of pain or discomfort. As I said before, he is going back to the vets for a blood test earliest of next week.

Thanks.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:07 am

Glad to hear you saw a vet. Yes, he is potentially showing signs of pain and possible tooth issues. Did the vet do a dental xray? How familiar is this vet with potential teeth issues? Have you read these pages?
https://www.guinealynx.info/pain.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/malocclusion.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:03 pm

If the vet didn't x-ray his teeth, he doesn't know that the teeth are fine. He may have elongated roots (the roots of the teeth grow up into the sinus cavities), and it makes it very painful to eat.

Chewing on things is also a sign of pain.

Everything you've said points to teeth problems. If your vet doesn't have any rodent dentistry experience, I'd try to find one that does ASAP. If that's what the problem is, it definitely won't get better on its own, and the pig will continue to decline in health.

LittleSnake

Post   » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:03 pm

No, he did not do a dental X-ray. The vet is very experienced in exotic animals, he’s very familiar with Guinea pigs and their teeth issues. Whilst I do believe it could be teeth issues, could there also be a chance of him having a blockage?
I’ve read those pages and it does sound like Nugget, I’ll definitely tell my vet to do X-rays.

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it (new to site and on mobile, don’t know how to reply individually).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:17 pm

The forum has a running conversation. You can always address someone by name (like, "Hey Lynx! Go away!" -- kidding)

There are veterinary dentists. Over the years, we've often suggested that a vet who is not as knowledgeable concerning dental issues get a second opinion from Dr. Loic Legendre, in Canada (a veterinary dentist with lots of experience with guinea pigs). X-rays are very important if teeth are a strong possibility of the cause. I suggest reading all the teeth pages for more info.

Here's an article he wrote some time ago. One of the guinea pigs pictured belongs to a member here.

If there was a blockage, you a condition called bloat might develop. From your description, this is not what is going on.

LittleSnake

Post   » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:10 am

Thanks guys. Unfortunately Nugget passed away last Friday. It wasn’t his teeth or a blockage. Still unsure what the exact issue was, but his liver wasn’t doing it’s job, and he had a few signs of hyperthyroidism (but that wasn’t it). His temperature was low, and he had others problems that elevated. Wish I knew what it was, sadly I might not ever know. He was the best, and I’ll miss him dearly.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:04 am

I am so sorry to hear you lost him, LittleSnake. You have all our sympathy. I wish these little guys lived longer and had fewer medical problems.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:07 pm

I’m sorry you lost Nugget, LittleSnake. You certainly did everything you could to find out what the problem was.

I had a similar situation with my previous pig, Lacey. She seemed to become unable to eat or drink. I had extensive exams, images, and blood work done by certified exotic vets, but we never discovered the problem.

These little ones can be so difficult to diagnose and treat. You have my sympathy, take care.

RubySimon

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:31 pm

I am sorry for your loss. It can be so hard just not to know.